Chapter One

"Bailey, get off your phone! It's supposed to be a party!" My best friend, Becky said, waving her hand in front of my face. She cocked her eyebrow as I finally realised what she was saying and where I was. I was in my bedroom, in rainy old England, with my best friends, "having fun" for my birthday. This was not my definition of fun by a long shot.

"Just two more minutes!" I begged, I really needed him to reply. It's all I wanted, and it would be the best birthday present ever too. She sighed loudly before going back over to the duvets on the floor and watching the film with the others. I blocked everything out again before going back on twitter. I loaded his page up and wrote to him, hoping for a reply that I would never get.

"@baileybrooksX: @luke_brooks please can you wish me a happy birthday! I've been trying all day, i love you so much luke!<3"

I put my phone down, knowing that it was hopeless. I joined Becky, Charlotte and Sophia on the floor, where they were watching Mean Girls. I could probably quote every line of this without even trying, but I sat quietly and laughed when the others did. I wasn't really in the mood to have fun, despite it being my birthday. Don't get me wrong, I was excited to turn 18, but I was still no closer to getting noticed by my idol. I sighed and rolled my eyes at the familiar jokes that I had heard countless numbers of times. I was just about to give up hope when I heard a buzz. I jumped up immediately and practically dived for my phone. Could this be him? I frantically entered my passcode and waited for twitter to load.

"C'mon, c'mon, c'mon," I muttered under my breathe so that the others couldn't hear the desperation in my voice. My mentions hadn't loaded yet so I refreshed them again, and there it was. I near dropped my phone I was so in shock.

"@luke_brooks: @baileybrooksX happy birthday beautiful! love you too :)"

I screamed louder than I ever have before and jumped up and down on the sofa. My friends looked at each other before looking at me. They weren't Janoskians fans, in fact they weren't really fans of anything. They were pretty boring. I didn't really know why I was friends with them, the company I guess. Most of my friends were off twitter, thanks to the boys I had met so many amazing people. And they had helped me through so much. My mum came running in, her face full of panic.

"Bailey, what's wrong? BAILEY!" She managed to yell over my screams. I threw one hand over my mouth before holding out the phone to her.

"He replied! He said happy birthday! And he told me he loved me!" I began screaming again, nothing could contain this excitement. I was a professional fangirl. My mum rolled her eyes at me and wafted the tea towel in my direction before going back into the kitchen to finish the washing up. When I had finally calmed down, I sat back down but I couldn't keep still. I kept refreshing my mentions as hundreds of new people congratulated me and followed me. I felt like I was famous, nothing could ruin my mood. I could tell that my friends were tired of me acting like a wild animal but it was hard not to. It was like all my Christmases had come at once. My dreams had literally come true. Sophia snatched my phone off me to look at what he had actually tweeted me, considering whenever I tried to explain it to someone, my words all came out at once and my sentence ended with a scream. She scrolled down to the tweet that already has thousands of retweets.

"Oh shit, Bailey!" I didn't like the sound of that. I quickly glanced over her shoulder to see what she was looking at. My mentions were filling up with lots of girls, not congratulating me, but hating on me. I grinned slightly to think that anyone could be jealous of me, after something so small yet so massively significant and important to me. But then I saw all of the nasty things they were writing.

"You don't deserve this, you're fat and luke will never love you!"

"i can't believe this ugly bitch got tweeted by luke, ugh!"

"go die"

The tweets just kept on going, I took the phone off Sophia to get a better look at what these girls were saying. It was horrible! People were telling me to kill myself and calling me all sorts of inappropriate things. I tried not to get emotional in front of my friends, they would only laugh at me. Whilst I sat there, scrolling down, their attention was quickly diverted back to the film. I got up and ran into the bathroom, locking the door behind me. I slid down the door and hid my head in my knees. Why did people have to be so cruel? It was unfair. I didn't deserve this, any of this. My phone kept vibrating in my pocket, indicating more messages from someone who was probably telling me to go die too. I didn't bother looking, my vision was already becoming blurred by the tears that were filling my eyes. How had I gone from being so happy one minute, to breaking down in tears the next? I thought I was stronger than this, but evidently not. I stood up and washed my face with cold water so it wouldn't look like my cheeks were red and puffy from crying. I composed myself and walked back into the living room, like nothing had happened. The film was soon over and we all turned the lights off and got into bed. The others fell asleep quickly and I couldn't help but look what else people were saying. Nothing new, just more hate.

This was officially the best and worst birthday. Ever.