Salad, gossip and arguments

Second update of the day :)

The bell rang for lunch and Clara dragged me from the music room, so I was only just able to practically throw the guitar at Mr O’Donoghue who wished me well with the rest of school. I thanked him, he was by far one of the nicest teachers I’d met . . . and believe me when I say I’d met many, many teachers.

Clara’s justification for dragging me to the cafeteria was that the queue’s got so long that soon there would be no chance of us getting food.

“What do you want?” She said hurriedly as she pulled me through some double doors into the canteen.

“Umm,” I paused, “What choices do I have?”

Clara pointed to the stands as she listed: “Pasta, cooked meal, sandwiches, salads, Jacket potatoes, toasted sandwiches or vegetarian.”

I looked about feeling spoilt for choice.

“What would you recommend?” I asked her as we proceeded slowly forward as more people filled into (and crowded up) the lunch hall.

“I usually have salads because they are so nice. Like everything is fresh and crisp and lovely.” She smiled happily then giggled, “Then I get chocolate pudding for desert.”

I laughed, “Okay I’ll get salad.”

She grinned and led me over to the salad bar where five people were already waiting and queuing.

I looked at all the individual salads that were packed into plastic boxes: Tuna salad, Greek salad, Veg salad and some with a mixture of random stuff in that wasn’t identifiable.

Clara picked up a tray and laid it in front of us before putting a Greek salad there and then a fork and a bowl with a piece of marble cake in it.

“We’ll share a tray. What you having?” She asked me as I studied the food before choosing a simple salad: the usual cucumber, lettuce, tomatoes, radishes, spring onions, grated carrot and cheese and celery. I picked up a small sachet of mayonnaise, a fork and a bowl with the same cake in it as Clara had.

“Ever been to Greece?” I asked her pointing at the salad as we got closer to the till area. She shook her head, “No, but I’d like to go. Have you?”

I nodded, “Mum had to write an article on Athens and its connection to the Greek myths so we got a free trip to Greece. You’d love it with all the coliseums and architecture.” I smiled.

She laughed, “And don’t forget the financial crisis’s!” 

I joined in the laugh and turned when someone tapped my shoulder.

It was Loki.