Innocence: Taken

Innocence: Taken

This short story was written for an Extra Credit assignment in my English Class. It's based on the average family that was visiting the dad/husband while he was working in the Twin Towers on 9/11.

It was a beautiful, September day. Birds sang from their nestled little homes, that lay hidden in the trees. Five AM reached its time, sending alarms off int he house.

"Good morning," was one of the little sounds you heard in the crisp morning.

Coffee cups clinked together, dress shoes scuffed against the hard wood floors, these were normal sounds, a predictable routine.

Five thirty AM rolled around, ever so quickly. Hugs and kisses were exchanged between husband and wife. A "have a good day," was said as he left.

Six o'clock came and went, bringing mother too wake her child up at seven AM.

"Olivia, today is a very important day," mother informed the four year old, "it is daddy's birthday!"

The excited toddler clapped her hands, eyes filled with excitement. The only thoughts that ran through the four year old were cake, ribbons, and presents.

Little Olivia was barely able too stay still as her mother put her into a lavender dress.

"When do we see daddy?" was all the toddler could manage too say.

When seven-thirty clicked on the clock, the young mother had strapped her child into a car seat. The mother was too go too the nearby store, and get a cake and balloons.

Time flew by, and before they knew, they were at the fathers job.

Floor after floor. . . it seemed like an endless building! As time ticked by, the mother said, "let's go." So Olivia and her mom walked hand in hand down the hall.

Carrying the balloons, the toddlers bright green eyes were piercing, and shone with happiness.

As they loaded the elevator, the toddler occupied herself by counting the balloons.

"One. . .  two. . .  three. . .  five. . .  six. . .  ten. . . four. . .eighteen. . .

 The mother laughed, corrected her daughter as the elevator climbed its way higher.

98. .  .99. . . 100. . . 102. . . 104. . .

It seemed like an hour later when they finally reached floor 107.

The excited mother and daughter exclaimed "happy birthday!" as they emerged into the dads office.

Hugs and kisses were exchanged again, as well as cake and balloons.

The small family was having so much fun, they were un-aware as time came and left.

A bitter sounding lady's voice crackled onto the loud speakers, "everyone - evacuate! A plane is about to-"

And that's when it happened.

The speakers cut, and the family heard the loudest boom ever.

Papers flew, ceiling lights flickered, glass shattered.

The mother screamed, the father ran too look out the window, and the toddlers started crying.

As the father looked out the window, he looked up. Half a plane was sticking out of the tower, now even twenty floors above.

"We need too get out, now!" the father shrieked, picking up his daughter and running out of his offer, his wife following.

As they ran down the stairs, each of their hearts raced. The father tried too calm the toddler down, as the mother wept behind them.

95. . . 93. . . 91. . . 89. . . 86. . . 84. . .82. . .90. . .

Faster and faster, they tried too run faster, but found it pointless unless they wanted to die plummeting down ninety flights of stairs.

50. . . 45. . . 40. . . 35. . . 30. . . 25. . . 20. . . 15. . . 10. . . 5. . .

There were only 5 floors left. .  would they make it?

Floor four, , , three. . . two. .

They were so close! Just two floors left! But then it grew quiet. . utter silence. And then the building starting too fall. . .

Floor one. .

And it collapsed.

Ten years later, Olivia and her parents are now living in a home in Maine. Any of these individuals can tell you everything that happened that day, and how they were lucky enough too survive.