The beginning

Even before her birth, people expected a lot from her. She was conceived for a reason (And no, this does not lead to some crazy science fiction story). Her parents had an arranged marriage. Needless to say, they got bored of each other pretty soon into their marriage. So they decided that they’ll have a kid thinking it’ll turn their sour marriage into something romantic. No, she wasn’t the immediate product of this plan. The child conceived for that reason turned out to be a stillborn. They were devastated. They may not have loved each other, but their hopes and dreams was rested on that child, making them love it even before it was born.

But life moves on and so did they. They tried again. They had lots of hope for this new incoming, even more so than the first one. She was going to be perfect. She will save their marriage and make her grandparents happy. She’ll carry their legacy and lead a new generation.

Finally after much waiting, she was born on a Wednesday. Even with the sun burning bright, there was a slight drizzle. People said it was a good sign- she’ll be something special.

Her parents raised her according to all the expectations that they had. They manicured her to perfection. She was never allowed to throw tantrums and was restricted from doing whatever she pleased. Every time she was disobedient, she was promptly set straight. So eventually she always did what they said.

Soon she found pleasure in pleasing her parents. The quality expanded gradually and rose to making her teachers and friends and relatives happy too. She became absolutely great at that.

Good things don’t last though. High school messed her up. She no longer was the best student- the big fish of her school. There were kids who were funnier, smarter and far more interesting than her. She tried though, for a while, but her efforts were fruitless and she was reduced from being someone remarkable to being someone insignificant.

Her mediocrity in school was baffling her. She was having hard time adjusting to her new status as an average nobody. Even her rather uninspired younger siblings (her parents found procreating to be a way of spicing up their dull married life and hence the siblings) were shadowing her. She had to find a life where she could be successful.

Her eyes turned to the only answer- Internet. It was place she had discovered pretty early in her life. But other than researching for materials for her studies and school projects, it held no interest to her. This time though, it seemed that it was going to be her savior. She could be anybody there; she no longer had to live in her run-of-the-mill, average life anymore. She could be something great.

So, internet became her new obsession. Her parents didn’t interfere; mostly because they were at a stage of their life where even procreating could not save their marriage and they were busy trying to mend their precipitously breaking relationship. Even when they checked on her, they were led to believe that she was indeed studying rather than spending her time on useless materials on the internet. Though they were disappointed by her average scores, they saw her trying and accepted that their ‘perfect’ child wasn’t that brilliant after all. They didn’t bother worrying too much about her anyway; they had two other kids who were making them proud.

Without her parents reining her and controlling everything she did; she was now completely free. She soon started conquering the stimulated worlds of different websites one by one. Be it gaming or social networking, she mastered it all. She had tons of profiles on different social networking websites where adding ‘friends’ became a competition to her. Soon she had more than thousands of ‘friends’, beating everyone in her game. And in this world, she was popular again!

She’d chat day and night. Surf the net by her mobile even when she was separated from her beloved PC. As her gaming scores increased, her grades began to dwindle further. The internet was indeed proving to be a net and was entangling her more and more every single day.

Soon it was time that she discovered wattpad. While searching for a website which could provide her with free eBooks (because she didn’t want to be offline even for her love of reading), she came across the website. What she didn’t realize was how soon the website was going to capture her soul and was going to change her life forever…