Chapter 10-- Heart Breaker

Chapter 10

Sunlight was streaming through the windows when Shayla opened her eyes the next morning. Amethyst had shown up at her door several hours after she had left the festival. Said blonde was now sound asleep in the guest room now and Shayla was just getting out of her own bed. She hadn't bothered to shower when she got home the night before as the long walk home had nearly exhausted her.

Of course, when she was nearly home it hit her that there was probably a spell to take her straight home. She kicked herself the rest of the way, wishing she had thought of it before. Briefly, she considered just staying in bed for the rest of the day. The thought that finally caused her to jump out of bed and head to the kitchen was that Soren was coming home later today. As much as she didn't want to admit it, Dillan had gotten to her and she had a few questions for Soren when he got here.

After a cup, or three, of coffee, Shayla decided on cleaning the house to kill time and keep her mind busy. She stripped her soft cotton sheets and quilt off of her bed and tossed them into the washer. She walked through the house opening curtains and blinds, letting the warm golden sunlight spill into each room. Something about the autumn sunlight seemed to bring such life to her home that it brought a smile to her face.

This smile was in direct contrast to how she felt inside. As hard as she had tried to push Dillan's words from her mind, they struck something inside her. They made her realize just how little she really knew about him. He never talked about his life before they met, nor really talked about his coven or family. With a shake of her head, she decided that all of those thoughts would have to wait until later. Sorenwasn't due back until after lunch according to the note that appeared on his side of the bed as she settled down the night before. She grimaced at the thought of the conversation to come, and set off to shower and dress before he got there.

)O(

"What are you getting at Shayla?" Soren's brow was furrowed and his mouth was twisted in frustration as she continued to ask him questions about him and his past.

"I don't know you Soren. I know barely anything about you. And yet, for some reason I allowed you into my home and into my bed. I want answers. Now." She demanded.

"Fine, what do you want to know?"

"What's your full name?" Start easy, she told herself. If she started off with questions that he really didn't want to answer, she'd never get anywhere with him.

"Soren Lucas Killgore. Next?"

"Favorite color? Food? Song?" She smiled to herself as she saw him relaxing. He must think she wasn't going to ask him anything hard.

The simple questions last for a few minutes, and they really did get to know each other better, but she recognized that it was time to progress to the harder stuff.

"Ok Soren, now I want the whole truth. Why did you really come here? To me?"

His eyes narrowed but she could tell that he had accepted that this question was coming. Before answering, he took a deep breath, like he was steadying himself.

"I was sent here. Yes, I know you want to know by who. My coven master. Lawrence Jeffers. I don't know why. He said you needed training, and that I was to report in on your progress." Shayla's eyes had widened with his every word.

"You never thought I should know?" She whispered, almost hoping he wouldn't answer.

"I did Shay, I did. I didn't know how to tell you." He moved off of the couch to kneel in front of her and took her hands in one of his. "I promise."

She looked down at him and could see the guilt written in his eyes, but it didn't matter. He had done the things her mother said all men do. They care nothing about anyone but themselves. Shayla stood up and took her hands out of his grasp.