Chapter Twenty Two: Only an Escape

Chapter Twenty Two: Only an Escape

You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.–Abraham Lincoln

Running away is never the answer. You still have to face what’s to come when you return . . . if you decide to return. You can’t spend your whole life running from your problems. The situation will never get better. You need to face your fears, problems, or whatever it is. Do it head on. Things will get better afterward. At least a little.

But sometimes a temporary escape is needed. It can provide you with some time to think. Maybe even come up with a plan to face whatever it is that needs to be faced. Think of a temporary escape as a sort of vacation. Find some solace. Face your demons. Discover who you are and what you want before life consumes you.

My phone vibrated at three in the morning. I sat up in bed and picked up the phone. “Hello?” I answered sleepily. 

Cory’s voice filled my ears. “Good morning,” he said. “Time to wake up.”

I yawned. “I’m up.”

“I’l be there in fifteen minutes,” he told me.

“Okay,” I said and hung up. I reached underneath my bed and pulled out the bag that I’d packed last night. I tiptoed to the bathroom, careful not to make much noise. I washed my face and brushed my teeth quickly. Then I returned to my room to put on my sweatsuit. It was cold in Southport but it was nice and warm in Florida. I couldn’t wait to get there.

Cory texted me, saying that he was parked around the corner. I put my sweatshirt on and grabbed my bag, putting it on my back. I closed my bedroom door shut behind me, wondering what everyone would do when they figured out I was gone. I didn’t want to think about it. If I did, then I’d be tempted to go back and forget about running away.

I sighed and walked out of the front door, closing it and locking it behind me. It was freezing, as I expected. Maybe I should’ve brought a coat anyway but it was too late to go back now. Going back in meant that there was a possibility that I could be caught and I couldn’t afford to be caught.

A few seconds later, I was climbing into Cory’s car. He smiled at me as I threw my bag into the back seat. “You sure you wanna do this?” he asked.

I nodded. “I’m sure.” 

“Okay,” he said quietly, pulling off into the cold, dark night. 

Hours later, we stopped to get some food and use the bathroom. After I came out of the bathroom, I turned my phone on. I’d texted Dad saying that I left really early so we could get breakfast and study. He must’ve believed it because he replied with an “okay”. 

No one knew where I was except for Cory. Eliza, Lucas, and Bianca had no idea. I’d texted them all saying that I didn’t feel good. I felt a little guilty for lying so much but I needed to get away. They’d figure it out soon. I took the battery out of my phone, deciding that it was best. They weren’t going to track me. 

Cory came back to the table with burgers, fries, and two drinks. “You okay?” he asked.

“Yeah,” I said. “I’m fine. How do you feel?”

“Great. I’m out of the hospital. I’m with you. We’re on our way to Miami. What more could I ask for?” he said, sitting across from me.

“Thanks,” I said, taking one of the cheeseburgers and unwrapping it. “So what are we gonna do when we get there?”