Chapter 3 - Clean Up and Bad Omens

Chapter 3

Clean Up and Bad Omens

 ____________________________________________________________________________

The red sun has risen large and hot, quickly evaporating the pools of muddy water left there from the night; baking the ground hard and flat once more.

   People whose houses were carved into the upper level of the valley’s walls helped their lower neighbours remove as much water as they could. While others gathered, taking bedding, clothing and furniture outside to dry.

   The rain had come on so fast that many had not had time to sand bag their doorways.

   The decorations from the night before lay in a sodden mess on the floor, the overturned tabled have righted and moved off to the side allowing room to move.

   Away at the mine, a large group of men - Aaron and Griffin included - were surveying the water damage. All hoping to get some work down before the sun got too high in the sky, forcing everyone to take cover till the temperature dropped once more.

Leira POV

Sofi had cried for three hours last night before finally calming down last night. When I could finally leave her the storm had changed into a light misting, with only the occasional rumbling of thunder. I’m still sure Ariel would have calmed her down faster, but oh well.

THE NIGHT BEFORE

  Sofi’s room is as bright and welcoming as her personality, but here I sit on her bed watching her shoulders shake as she bawls loudly. Silently I curse Griffin to the fierily heights of Lorthan. Like everything in her life, Sofi throws her whole self behind all her emotions, which makes her a messy crier. 

   “How c-could he do th-hat to meeee!” Sofi cried.

   Her pillow was clutched tight to her chest as she rocks back and forth in anguish. Tears fall uncontrollably from her swollen eyes and down her red cheeks. She swipes her hand uncaringly across her face managing to leave a trail of mucus behind.

“Because he is an idiot.” I repeat for the hundredth time before wiping her face and making her blow.

“Aaron fi-finally noticed meeee… he –he actually ta-talked to me then….then.” She broke off as a new bout of tears started to fall. The rain gave a howl and the echo of thunder bounced off the walls.

  This had gone on long enough, any more of this wallowing and the whole valley will be under water.

  “Come on Sofi its not all that bad.” She wails in disagreement, “Aaron fought Griff, because of you didn’t he? How many times has he ever done anything like that?”

  Sofi's head popped up. “He did, didn’t he…?”

   “That’s right! You looked really cute before you fell in th….” She started to sniff again so I moved on quickly, “I don’t know what Griff's problem is.” Lie.  “He is an idiot, but you can’t let him get to you like this. Aaron will probably be over tomorrow to see how you are and you don’t want to still be red and puffy from crying.” A low blow, I know, but if it works.

   Her hand flies to face, “Your right, I had better get some sleep. Thanks for coming over, Lei”

   “That’s okay, just please stop crying and get some sleep. We will start planning revenge tomorrow”