The Hunt

Recap

 Caleb’s PoV

 As I got in my car, I reached into my glove compartment to grab my sunglasses but my fingers pulled out a picture instead. My lips tugged at the sides as I looked at the picture, it was of me and Kayli. I remember the day like it was yesterday, it was a month into our relationship. We had just got out of the movie theater and it was pouring outside. I was going to go get the car, while Kayli waited under the covering. Just as I was about to sprint off, she pulled me back. Pulling me close, she whispered “race ya” before sprinting off.

 I chased after her and I was just about to catch her too when my foot slipped out under me and I flew back. There I was, flat on my back, in the parking lot as the rain pounded on me. Within seconds Kayli was standing over, trying her best not to laugh but failing miserably.

 “Go ahead, laugh” I muttered, completely embarrassed.

 She burst into a fit of laughter, her tears mixing with the rain. After a while, her laughter died down to a quiet chuckle. Extending her hand, she helped pull me up back onto my feet. “You know I knew you would fall for me, but I didn’t know it would be so literal,” she said with a small grin. And in that moment I knew I had, Kayli Reed had someone come along and stolen my heart without my knowing. Stepping closer to me, I could feel the heat radiating off her body, she whispered seductively into my ear, “You know, I’ve always wanted to make out in the rain.”

 “Well Ms. Reed, I aim to please” I said before capturing her mouth with mine. Her lips molded perfectly against mine and my heart about ripped out of my chest as she slipped her tongue into my mouth. Pulling out my phone, I took a quick picture of our kiss. Needing oxygen, she pulled back, both of us breathless. “Did you just take a picture of us?” she asked, her blue eyes still slightly clouded over from our kiss. “Yeah, I just wanted something to remember this moment” I smiled, pulling her into my arms as she shivered slightly from the cold rain. I did want to remember that moment because it was the first time I realized I was head over heels in love with her.

 Staring at the picture now, I ached to feel the happiness I felt that day, the happiness I felt every day I spent with her. I had to get her back and I will stop at nothing until I do.

 Chapter 13

Caleb’s PoV

As I pulled my car into the Reed’s driveway, my nerves were all over the place. My sweaty palms gripped the steering wheel, as I thought about how I was going to explain my sudden appearance to Brent and somehow get him to tell me where Kayli was without being obvious. I basically have dropped off the planet since I last saw Kayli at the house party Brent and Sam threw. Giving myself a small pep talk, I walked to the front door. Staring at the red door in front of me, all the happy memories of being with Kayli in this house flashed in my head. The small smiles we would give each other when no one was looking, the stolen kisses we would share when we found time to be alone, and the times she would sneak out of her window for those moonlight strolls. We were happy once and would be once again when she forgave me. I rapted on the door and waited for Brent to answer, two minutes had gone by and I was about to give up when the door flew open.

 “Hey Cabby, what are you doing here?” Brent asked, as he leaned against his crutch in the doorway.

 “It’s been awhile since I’ve seen you're fugly face so I thought I would stop by” I explained, my mouth tugging at the corners.

 “Fugly my ass, you know you wish you had this sexy mug” Brent snorted, opening the door more so I could walk in.

 I walked inside and waited as Brent closed the door and hobbled his way to the living room with me close behind. Poor dude, I know being injured is killing him. The guy lived and breathed soccer, so being out of the game, even temporarily must be rough on him. He flopped down on the couch as I took a seat on the recliner.