:Waist-Deep in Walmart: Capitulo Once!

It was now midnight and Anthony and I were trying to figure out what to do. Thanks to our awkward sleeping habit over the past day, we weren’t even the tiniest bit tired. I’d suggested board games, which he’d shot down. He’d suggested opening an x-box, which I’d shot down (too much money to pay back if we had to). So now we were just pursing our lips at each other, our arms crossed.

            “Twinkie eating contest?” he suggested.

            I shook my head. “I’m pretty sure we used them all up. Besides, I don’t like eating Twinkies, nor do I really feel like gaining twenty pounds.”

            He frowned. “Okay… How about a game of tag?”

            “We both know you run much faster than I can. How about we play Barbie?”

            Rolling his eyes, he stretched out on his lawn chair. “Be serious, Ellie.”

            “I was serious.”

            “Really?”

            “Yep, but then I got a sex change and became Ellie. Short for Seriousellie. Get it? Get it?” I snorted at my own joke, slapping my knee.

            His eyes held concern as he gazed at me. “You’re going crazy…”

            Now it was my turn to roll my eyes. “It’s Harry Potter. You know? Sirius?”

            “I know what you meant,” he told me, grinning. “You just never pinned me as the type to like something like that.”

            I puffed out my chest. “Don’t judge a book by its cover. I didn’t pin you as a nerd, but I saw the way you gazed at that Pokémon game earlier.”

            He grinned sheepishly. “Everyone has a part of their childhood in them no matter what age they are.”

            “There you go.”

            “Okay,” he started, sitting up again, an excited expression on his face. “Why don’t we go to the toy department and choose something to do there? If you find a good board game we’ll do that. Or we can kick a soccer ball around or something.”

            After a moment of hesitation, I agreed. “Okay. It’s better than sitting here and doing nothing I guess.”

            He jumped up eagerly. “Okay, let’s go!”

            “Don’t run!” I cautioned him as he took off haphazardly. “That earthquake knocked nearly everything off their shelves! You might—”

            “Shit!

            “Trip,” I finished, wincing as I heard the loud smack of his face meeting the tiled floor. “I tried to warn you…”

            He groaned, pushing himself up into a sitting position. “Thanks for that…”

            Laughing quietly, I held my hand out to him. “Here.”

            “Thanks,” he said again, nearly knocking me down as he used me to pull himself to his feet. “I’ll be more careful now. It’d suck if I ended up with a concussion.”

            “You might have one,” I told him, frowning. “You hit that clock really hard.”

            He waved me off. “I would know if I had one. Trust me. I’ve had a lot…”