Time To Step Up - Chapter Two

Time To Step Up

~*******************~

Chapter Two

~*******************~

Yawning, I sat up from my new single bed from the second night here in San Jose. It was six am on Tuesday in September, my first day of school, which should've been my second, but Robert thought it was too soon for me to start school, plus he starts work today; so it only seems fair to start school together.

The shower woke me up properly from my restless sleep last night, but I will get used to it. It is quite annoying that whenever I have a shower or a bath I have to walk across the lounge and kitchen to my bedroom. We live in an apartment that used to belong to our uncle.

The smell of grilled bacon filled my nostrils. Just what I need; a bacon butty (which is the British slang for sandwich) and a strong coffee. As some Americans think we English folks drink tea mostly, then they're wrong about me and Robert, we drink coffee (not all the time) in the morning and during the day, then tea just before we go to bed. Here's a true fact: A hot cup of tea can help you sleep and feel better when you have a cold.

Slipping on my red high top trainers, pulling the tongue over my white jeans, I nicked one of my brother's bacon butts', taking a bite out of it and putting it back on the plate. I looked through the fridge and grabbed the jar of vitamins and a bottle of water. We always take one of these every morning for energy. I let out a burp, quite a loud one too.

"Good morning to you, too." Robert said, then noticed the bite taken out of his bacon butty. He playfully glared at me. "If you wanted one I would be happy to make you one, you know."

I shrugged, "I'm not really hungry." I took another sip of water, then poured myself a coffe, no milk and no sugar.

"I'm nervous as well, Olivia, eat something, you'll feel better." Robert told me, eating his bacon butty.

I let out a tired sigh and grabbed a banana, apparently, bananas add six hours of engery, or something like that.

~*********************~

I looked out of the car window to see my new high school. It's so weird, today is my first day of an American high school. I am a little nervous about what I am going to experience all the things what are awaiting me. I just want to know how things work here and what theyr'e like. To be honest I don't want to go to school, but I'm doing one year.

There was kids the age of sixteen and over getting out of their own cars, greeting their friend, it made me a little jealous. I noticed some bikers pulling up, shoving people out of their way walking passed and entering the school, even tripping people over purposely. There were at least five of them, all wearing leather jackets and jeans and sunglasses. They're the greasers or the trouble-makers or whatever.

"I don't want you going near them, okay?" Robert told me in my ear before we got out of the car. Figured he would say that, but he's my big brother, he would, "Just think you're in year eleven again."

Hmmm.... It's quite hard to pretend this is The Hollins Technology College when no one is born-English and is wearing uniforms. And, I am not head girl, this time.

Being a coward, I asked Robert to come with me to meet the receptionist, who is a sweet old lady who welcomed me with a kind smile.

"You must be Olivia Wilde, lovely to meet you at last, dear. Principal Wilde has told me a lot about you and your brother." she shook my hand kindly, "I am Mrs Clements. I have a welcome package for you." She handed me a swipe card with my photo which is the same as my passport when I updated it a couple of weeks ago. Luckily, it isn't embarrassing.