Adventures in Narnia: The Beginning

Chapter 1

Into Narnia

The air was crisp as I marched out of the apartment building I lived in. I tugged my cardigan closer to my body, like many of the other pedestrians on the busy New York street.

I was on my way to meet my best friend Jennifer for lunch and back to school shopping.

            I spotted the raven haired girl already window shopping at one of the more expensive designer stores.

Coming from a fairly well off family she could afford to splurge often. I on the other hand stuck to department stores, and got the occasional Juicy Coutlure or Gucci item from a relative for my birthday or Christmas.

Jennifer would always buy me something I admired in whatever store we happened to be in. I always protested but she would claim to owe me for something and gleefully buy it.

"Bethy!" She squealed when she spotted me. She sprinted over, her purse jangling with every step.

I met her halfway with a hug and a giggle.

"Good afternoon Jen," I smiled. "Do I dare ask, where to first?"

She laughed, and shook her head, making her dangle earrings flash in the sunlight.

“Oh Bethy, you crack me up.” She rolled her eyes. “I was thinking first Juicy Couture, then maybe Prada, and Coach for a new purse? Or should we just hit every store down Fifth Avenue?”

Now it was my turn to laugh.

“I’m just kidding, I mean if you want we can walk down anyway and do some window shopping. But I promise that I will stick to typical mall and department stores today.”

She grabbed my hand and pulled me along towards Macy's.

The moment I entered the store I was hit with the smell of new clothes, perfumes, the sound of people, and the click and jangle of cash registers.

            I paused a moment to gawk at the high ceilings, decorated with signs advertizing back to school sales, and where to find what.

First stop: shoes.

            While Jennifer was busy trying on the whole selection, I focused on what I could get the most use out of.

I scanned the clearance racks first, and found some cute floral flats among the array.

After that I moved to the rack of my size, and looked for a pair of comfortable boots & a classic heel to replace the black ones I had just grown out of.

In the end I decided on a pair of soft brown half-calf boots, and a comfortable Mary Jane style black heel.

            Jennifer ended up buying three pairs of various heels, two pairs of emus, and high heeled knee boots.

After that she dragged me to the juniors section, we each picked out what we liked and headed for the dressing rooms.

“Race you for the big one!” I shouted, dashing into the room, I could hear her foot steps behind me.

I flung the door to the largest stall open and tripped on a piece of clothing that had been left on the floor.

I flew head first towards the mirror, I clenched my teeth, bracing myself.

The leaves crunched beneath me when I landed on the soft woodland floor. Wait woodland floor?

I jumped up.