Upon Release...Sequel to Roll Call by Glenn Langohr-Amazon

ROLL CALL—RELEASE FROM PRISON—

                        CHAPTER 1

            Does everything happen for a reason? I wondered this question again as I thought about my current state. My mom had always taught that God has an eternal plan that we are involved in and that I am to stay grateful in all things with faith that I’m being built and prepared for what is to come.

            Screwball stood underneath the ledge B.J was on standing like a statue staring at his friend through intense blue eyes waiting for a response. He discerned how close to disaster he was by the troubled look in his eyes. 

            “B.J! What were you thinking holmes?”

             B.J stood on the cliff above the rocky ocean with the body language and attributes from someone who survived by violence. He was wearing black Nikes and navy blue pin striped Volcom shorts showing explosive bunched up leg muscles in a stocky yet limber stature. Shirtless in the 85 degree sunny summer day, his ripped V-shaped frame separated chest, back and shoulders and exuded energy and power. B.J’s prominent chin had a deep scar adding even more depth. Screwball laughed at earlier memories, you have to kill B.J’s type cause if he’s in the right he won’t stop. He thought back to when he saw him in prison, where he seemed to hold all the cards. Where he looked like he was always one step ahead of his surroundings and always on his toes like he was accustomed to violence and schemes and found he was more than able. Screwball thought, he’s a mastermind in prison where emotions are sealed, but out here in the world, on the big yard, he’s overwhelmed. His heart must be involved.

            I thought about my beautiful girl who owned my heart. Ten days ago she ran from the Shelter’s parking lot and I knew she saw a local drug dealer. A scumbag had recently text messaged her that- I HAVE THE BOMB DOPE! He was going to pay. My beautiful was newly sober. She was getting her life together. I followed from a distance. She got in the passenger seat of a blue Honda. They took off from the curb. I ran after her with my heart in my throat, I was losing her. The Honda turned up the next Laguna Beach Street and I realized she had to be back at the Shelter in 20 minutes. I ran harder. The Honda pulled into a driveway. I caught up just in time. Annette was in the back of the garage looking at something. A bag of speed. Bob, standing next to her looked up right as I finished running up the driveway. I kept walking fast right at him. He opened his stance and set a backpack on a table. I wasn’t planning on talking anyway. I noticed another person in the corner and was getting close to Bob. He tried to say something but the word got stuck in his throat because my feet shuffle stepped hard and fast. His hands never came up and I fired a left hand jab downward through his chin and felt his feet buckle and his body go liquid. The table he set his backpack on held him up and I kept jabbing the left like a piston. As his body slumped further and slid down the table I tilted the last left in an uppercut and felt my fist meet just the right part of his chin to snap it back. I heard and felt his jaw break and watched him slide to the ground like jello. He was lying on the floor flat on his back unconscious. Blood pooled out of his mouth on both sides of his lips. I came out of the red zone and realized the person I saw in the corner was talking. I looked and he wasn’t a threat. I looked at Annette and saw shock on her face, then excitement. Good, I got her high without dope. I looked back at Bob. His eyes were fluttering. He was coming too but choking on his blood. I grabbed his head and turned it to the side to keep him alive and said, “Get her high or make her cry and you die.” I finally understood the other guy saying, “Fuck-n-a” over and over. I looked back at Annette and said, “Let’s go.”

            Screwball noticed B.J.’s troubled eyes take on that determined look so many people knew about and said, “Talk to me B.J why did you beat up that speed dealer? You’re not getting back into moving product are you?”