Ch. 30: The Yule Ball

FRED

As I watched Elle blink hard a few times my heart fell for her. Who would possibly stand this girl up? Leo was a dead man when I get my hands on him! I growled and then my mind shot back to a few hours ago when L had scolded me:

"Look, Fred. I don't need your protection. I'm not your little sister and I am most definitely not your girlfriend. I can handle myself. I've been doing it a lot longer than before I met you."

Her words had stung a little. I could admit that to myself.

I folded my hands and shifted on the couch, peeking at her calm face through the corners of my eyes. She looked worried, though she was trying to hide it. There was a divot between her brows, a wrinkle of worry that exposed how she was really feeling.

Of course, I didn't see her as my little sister. That would be too weird. I would never have this kind of feeling towards Ginny... I could hear George's ridiculing tone in my head now, mocking me. 'I tooold you.'

I liked her, maybe even as much as a girlfriend. A small blush crept through my ears, burning redder with each moment as that thought circulated through my head. Merlin's beard,... I liked Elle. A lot.

I stubbornly shot the idea down. No, I couldn't like her like, well, like that. She was Hermione's twin, after all, a know-it-all, through and through. Me, with a Granger? The thought was a bloody nightmare.

I glanced at her again, taking in her elegantly styled hair, and her downcast warm, dark eyes. She was frowning slightly now. But, once she saw me looking, she forced a smile and laughed lightly, at nothing. She always did that. Ron pondered to me about it once, asking if Americans just laughed for no reason all the time.

The little voice in the back of my mind spoke up, quieter this time: Of course you like her, you git. If you didn't, you would have just gone down to dinner. You wouldn't be feeling so miffed about how sad she is neither.

As the strange idea dawned on me, it weighed heavy on my chest, as the weight of a ton of crashing bricks would feel to a random passerby. This crush could change everything... My mouth ran dry and my ears burned. Godric, I fancied a Granger.

Elle raised her honey eyes up to mine and looked into my eyes, making it seem as if she should see straight in to my soul... at this moment that would be the last thing I would want- what if she didn't feel the same way?

At that moment, I felt drawn to her -- pulled into her orbit like a comet. Elle flushed as she stared into my gaze, her lips parting a tad. Then, like that gravitational yank, I felt myself slowly coming closer to her without the slightest thought. Just a wondering, a curiosity of how her kiss would feel.

JENNA

Biting my lip furiously, I paced back and forth next to the closet Draco was leaning against. "Thanks for this, Draco. I think we are about ready to give him the correct map now."

Draco shrugged callously. "I don't really know why I'm helping you anyway- how do you know Elle is still even in the Common Room waiting? Or that Fred didn't just go down? If I was Elle I'd go down any way." His cold eyes grazed over me and towards the opposite wall with a small sneer.

I shrugged with a grin, using my hands to paint a picture while he watched, pretending to be bored. "Lana told me that Blake made sure Elle was still there, and Fred was waiting for Angelina by the stairs. Lana says she saw Angelina, four minutes ago, walk into the Great Hall with Katie Bell. All the pieces are in place."