Chapter 7: Just a kiss.

Chapter 7

I think he was too shocked by my boldness to really say anything as I climbed onto his bunk and the surprise clearly didn't die down because he allowed me to climb on top of him without saying a word either.

It was only when I hovered over him wondering what the hell I should do next, that he finally seemed to regain his senses and pushed me somewhat roughly off him.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?"

I flinched at his harsh words but steeled myself against any further onslaught. I'd been brave enough to drag myself onto his bunk and I'd be brave enough to finish what I'd started.

"I want to sleep here...with you." Was the best way I could portray my intentions.

He was silent for a few seconds, watching me with those intense green eyes and I bit my lip nervously.

"What's wrong with your bunk?" he glared at me and I had to swallow the lump which had formed before I could answer.

"The only thing I can do down there is sleep." My words were barely a whisper and I hated myself for not staying firm.

It didn't take long for him to grasp the meaning behind my words and before I knew what was happening he shifted to the left, grabbed the bed's railing and launched himself over the silver poles and onto the floor below. Then as I watched in surprise he reached up and grabbed the sleeve of my shirt and pulled me off his bunk.

He grabbed both my arms before I could slam into the floor and righted me after my knees buckled and before I could get a word out he shoved me onto my own bunk where I landed haphazardly with a loud thud.

"This is a prison, not a damn whore house, you want somebody to fuck go find another cell." He said harshly and I felt the hurt right down to my stomach.

"Don't say that." I said surprised that my voice came out firm when inside I felt crushed.

A moment of silence passed before Nathan sighed, almost in defeat and his next words were gentle. "Riley... you don't know what you want but trust me, it's not...this." He finished gesturing between us.

I bristled. "I know what I want, I have a mind of my own."

"Then if you took a moment to use it you'd realize that this isn't something you really want to get into." He tried to convince me.

"Why not? I know you're attracted to me, I can tell and don't try to deny it." I couldn't look at him as I said the words. The embarrassment was burning through me and slowly sapping my courage.

"It doesn't matter whether I'm attracted to you or not Riley, look at where we are." He gestured to the cell bars. "You're stuck in a desperate situation and you're trying to turn our...friendship into something it doesn't need to be."

"I'm not telling you I love you for god's sake" I said looking up at him and if I didn't know better I'd say he'd flinched at my words but the situation was such that I'd probably imagined it all. "I'm just talking about...you know, physical attraction between two people." I finished somewhat uncertainly.

I couldn't tell what he was thinking and that made me nervous. He just stood there staring down at me with an expression I couldn't read. I was putting myself out there for the first time in my life; propositioning to a man who shouldn't even be interested in a straggly boy like me and it wasn't easy.

"And I'm saying no. I'm not interested." He finally spoke up.

I jumped up from the bed, standing close enough to feel his body heat. "Of course you're interested. What about that kiss?" my voice cracked on the last word and I knew I sounded like a kid for just saying it but it couldn't be helped.