Chapter 10: An agreement,sort of?

Early in the morning, Jade could be found sneaking past Zach's door. She didn't bother to wake him up to take her to school, deciding it was best. She grabbed a bag of chips out the kitchen and walked as quietly as possible out the front door. A breeze blew pass her face as she inhaled the morning air. Looking down the street, she saw a woman on the side waving her hand out. Suddenly, a cab stopped and the woman jumped inside. 

"Guess I have to get one of those suckers!" Jade said, walking down the, townhouse, steps. 

She stopped walked up the sidewalk a little to get away from the townhouse's eyes, just as precaution if Zach was to wake up and notice her trying to catch a cab. She stopped walking when she hit the next block and caught a cab. It was a little weird by not having Zach take her to school, but she couldn't face him just yet. It wasn't just the fact of what happened last night, but what's been happening to her hormones. Jade noticed her face was a little droopy in the reflection of the cab window, which was probably the cause of the little bit of sleep she got at night, and groaned. 

She held onto her book bag and watched decided to watch everything go by. The blurs of people, that the cab passed, reminded her of her life. Everything was moving along so fast and not all of it was so bad. Especially, with what's been going on between Zach and her. She blushed and covered her cheeks, just the thought of last night. What he had said about him making her want something that was forbidden really got to her. She wanted Zach with every moral fiber of her being, but yes it was forbidden! At first, she wanted him, but last night…he made her feel…so…vulnerable that it scared the hell out of her!

"That will be $15.43 ma'am!" the cab driver said, snapping Jade out of her daze.

"Here you go and thanks!" Jade responded, handing the money to the driver. 

"What an improvement!" Olivia yelled at Jade from behind, as she got out of the cab. "Where's that annoying biker stepbrother of yours? Is he sick?" 

"Actually, I didn't think it was necessary for him to take me today. I have to have some kind of independence," Jade preached to Olivia. She fanned her face and looked up at the sky, shielding her eyes. "Wow, I can't believe it's so hot. You would think that in late November it would be getting cooler."

"Well that's how it is around here, you just got to get use to the weathe…r," Olivia trailed off, looking at Jade strangely.

"What? What is it? Do I have something in my teeth?" Jade asked frantically picking at her teeth.

"No, but you have a red mark that looks like a…" Olivia said and stopped. She took in deep breath, covering her mouth with her hands. "HICKEY! It's a hickey isn't it? Oh my god, who gave that to you, I must know!?" she hysterically said, groping at Jade's neck trying to get a better look.

"Get off! Get off!" Jade yelled trying to get away from the manic that was holding her neck. Jade coughed a bit after she got away from Olivia's grasp. "Are you nuts? You almost killed me!"

"If you don't tell me who gave you that hickey I am going to kill you," Olivia warned. 

Jade rubbed her neck opened one eye to look at Olivia. "I don't have a hicky. I've probably been rubbing my neck to much…or I slept on it wrong or something!"

"Don't lie! I've had a lot of hickeys before and I can spot one a million miles away. So, you might as well tell me who gave it to you," Olivia said tapping her foot. Jade tried not to laugh as she looked at Olivia. She looked like a mother that just caught her daughter in a bad situation or something.

Jade smiled and walked away. "I'm not going to tell you anything. I have a class to get to. See you doll!" Jade said and waved goodbye.

"That's not right Jade and you know it! Bitch!" Olivia screamed at Jade. Jade giggled and began to skip. Zach had given her a hickey and she felt happy about it!

At the end of the day Jade called Josh and explained she wouldn't be at work because she was sick. Which was a lie, but she didn't feel like going to work. Especially, since she was suppose to warn Olivia about his intentions. After, calling him she caught another cab and went home.

"Hello!" Jade said as she opened the door, to the townhouse. Shrugging she shut the door behind her and walked upstairs. . It should have been obvious to her that he wasn't home, when she didn't see his motorcycle in the front of the house, but she looked into Zach's bedroom any noticing that he wasn't in it. So, she suspected that he was either out somewhere or at work.

Lazily, Jade walked into her room and flopped down on the bed. She had to admit she was tired and she wanted to just take a nap, but brain wouldn't turn off! She pulled her book bag off her back, letting it fall to the floor. Jade raised her head up off the pillow after hearing a crackling sound and looked over the edge of the bed. There sat the ruffled bag that carried Zach's book in it. She had forgotten all about that book and picked the bag up, sitting it on the side of her body. The bag rustled as Jade pulled the book out of the bag and read the back.

"'Terrence David, a 25 year old millionaire, thought finding that one special woman in his life was nothing, but nonsense. Women were filled to love one thing from him only…his money. He did however find one that he thought was the ONE, but he was wrong. After, Nancy leaves, divorces him, and takes everything he ever had, he finds himself having to start over from scratch. So, he moves across the country to stay with his parents to try to start life over by working at his fathers company. While he's living in his parent's mansion he takes interest in one particular person. It's none other then the highly attractive Lora Pett, the babysitter for his little brother. But, she's 17! Could this young girl, possibly help him pick up the pieces and make him believe in love again?'" Jade read out loud. "Wow, this actually sounds really good!"

Jade flipped the book back over and turned on her lamp beside her bed, then reached to pull the small drawer open that was under it. Feeling around she grabbed a, blue, eyeglass case. She was about to close the drawer when she saw a, black, case sitting inside. It contained the glasses that Zach had bought her a couple of days ago. She licked her top teeth and picked up the black case, opening it to pulling out the glasses.

"Ok Mr. Harris, let's read why you've been called the hot new author nowadays," Jade said, putting her glasses on and flipping to the first page.

"Jade!!!" a loud voice yelled. It had been about an hour since Jade had gotten home and she was still engrossed in the book. She barely even heard the voice call for her name, as she flipped another page. Footsteps were coming up the stairs and a tall figure appeared in her door way. "Jade!" 

Jade looked up from her book. "Zach!" she said with a smile.

"Where have you been?" he asked, his voice sounding a little irritated. 

"I've been here…"

"No!" Zach said abruptly. "Where were you this morning? Where were you this evening? Where the hell were you?"

"School…school…home…why are you so upset?" Jade asked, a frown appearing on her face. Zach moved from the doorway and sat on the edge of her bed, making it dip downward. He put his hands on his face and moved them to his hair.

"Why am I so upset? I wake up this morning late and I go to your room, but surprise you aren't there. So, I take it you were picked up by Olivia or something. I go to work, then after, I head to pick you up and I couldn't find you. Dammit, I waited about an hour for you," Zach explained harshly, his hands gripping the bedspread. "I go by the bookstore and Josh says you weren't coming today because you were sick. I decide to come back over here and…here you are!"

"So what? I took a cab to and from school Zach," Jade said, pulling her glasses down to her nose. "And I didn't feel like going to work today. It wasn't a big deal I didn't think you would get all upset over something so trivial."

"I'm so upset because you scared the hell out of me Jade. I didn't know where you were and I began to wonder, if something happened to you, if someone kidnapped you or…or…something worst happened to you." 

Jade smiled and pushed her glasses back up her nose. "You were worried about me?"

"Of course!" Zach said his face softening. 

"I'm sorry I worried you then."

"Just promise me that next time you plan on taking a cab somewhere leave a note."

"Yea if there is a next time, cab fare is a bitch!" Jade said and laughed. She was pleased to find Zach joining in the laughter. He looked at her and she focused back on her book.

"Is that my book?" Zach asked curiously, reaching to lift the book up so he could see the cover. Jade closed the book quickly and put it behind her back. "It is my book isn't it? I thought I couldn't write a 'decent' story that could fit your taste?"

"I wouldn't dream of reading that garbage," Jade lied. She took her glasses off and put them on the bedside table, sliding off the bed with the book behind her back. "Now, if you excuse me," she said inching her way to the door. 

"Hmm…" Zach said standing up and smiling at her playfully.

"Hmm what?" Zach took a small step toward her and she moved closer to the door.

"Nothing…" Zach told her. He turned his head to look around her room, and then quickly lunged at her, taking a hold of arm.

"Noooo…you don't," Jade giggled and moved from his grasp. She ran down the stairs and into the living room, frantically looking for a hiding spot for the book. She heard Zach coming and stuffed it under the couch cushion. 

"How did you ever think you would get away from me by coming down here? I thought you were the smart college student? If you are the smartest one in your whole class I am afraid to let you guys be the future of America," Zach joked. "Now, give it here!" he said extending his hand.

"No!' Jade told him. Zach scratched his chin and took a step toward her. Jade laughed when he tried to grab her again and she scurried to the other side of the coffee table. He chased her back to the other side and she stuck her tongue at him, causing him to take her off guard. He got her by the waist and threw her on the couch softly, holding her down with his weight. "I don't have it!" Jade said flaying her hands out.

"Doesn't matter," Zach said giving her a sexy smile. His voice lowered a decimal and he inched his face to hers. "I think I got what I wanted." He shifted on top of her to position himself between her legs.

"That reminds me, you owe me an apology!" Jade said.

"For what?"

"What you did last night."

"I'm not going to apologize for that!" Zach told her. 

Jade frowned. "I deserve an apology, because you had no right to do what you did!"

"Really?" Zach asked, giving a crooked smile.

"Damn right you pervert."

"I have to apologize even though you didn't resist it?"

"I…I…was trying to get away, but you forced me to stay!" 

"What's stopping you from getting away from me now?" Zach chuckled. "You can just push me off of you now, yet you haven't tried."

"I…"

"Just admit you feel there is something going on between us!" Zach asked, his eyes looking into her green ones.

"I…"

"Admit that you like the feeling that coursed through your body last night, when I kissed you on the shoulder."

"…"

"Admit that…" Zach said bending to whisper in her ear. "You like this!" 

Jade shivered and moved underneath him. "Are you saying you like me…?"

"Hell yea," Zach murmured on her neck. 

"Don't do that, you already gave me a hickey," Jade said, pushing him lightly off her and sat up. She crossed her legs and glanced at him. 

"I gave you a hickey!?" Zach said a self satisfying smile appeared across his face. Moving closer to her he held her chin and examined the red mark. "It is definitely a hickey. Did I tell you the folks want us to come up this weekend?" 

Jade jerked her head out of his grasp and gaped at him. "WHAT??"

"Yea, they want us to come over to spend Thanksgiving with them next Thursday. So, I told them we would be leaving Friday night." 

"Oh man, I forgot that was next Thursday, but it won't be a problem. I'm just going to have to pack tomorrow. Thanks for giving me a heads up," Jade said looking at him.

"That's great, because I don't know where your mom's house is, so you have to give me directions."

"You don't know where she lives? You've been over there before," Jade said.

"No, usually when I saw Sarah she was at my dad's you remember? I never once visited at your mom's place before," Zach said, laying back on the couch. Jade looked at him questioningly and sat back. He was right! Never once, did Zach ever come with his father, Jacob, when he decided to pop in out of the blue. Come to thank of it, in the whole year that Jacob was seeing Sarah, Jade only saw Zach about five times. He would be either brooding in his room and come out ever so often for a drink or he would be on his way out somewhere. Come to think of it, she just got to know Zach in the last couple of months that she'd been staying with him!

"As always you are right!" Jade said.

"Guess I am!" Zach said. He slid closer to her and kissed her neck. "So am I right about me and you?"

"You possibly could be! And it's you and me, not me and you," Jade corrected him. 

"So you may possibly be interested in me, than just in the brotherly way?" Zach asked.

Jade smiled and stared into his eyes. "And you are interested in me, than just in the sisterly way."

"I guess that means we agree with one another that we are going to explore this," Zach whispered in her ear, causing Jade to blush. She was about to open her mouth to reply when the doorbell rang. "Don't answer it!" Zach incomprehensibly said.

"Hello…it's Josh!" Jade got off the couch and ran to the door. What the hell would he possibly be here for? "Hi," Josh said when Jade opened the door.

"Hi Josh what are you doing here?" Jade asked, looking at the white roses in his hand. "Are those for me?"

"You said you were sick remember, so I thought it would be gentlemanly to bring you flowers." He handed the bouquet to Jade and she took it in hand.

"Thanks Josh!" Jade said. He took one step into the house and Jade moved in his way. "What are you doing?"

"Can I come in?" 

"Uh…" Jade stuttered. She looked into the living room at Zach, sitting on the couch and smiled. She faked a horrible coughing fit and covered her mouth. "I don't want you coming in here and catching this."

Josh smiled uneasily. "You can be so thoughtful." 

"So, I won't be coming to work this Saturday because I'm visiting my parents, but I will be back by next Saturday," she informed him.

"Ok then!" Josh smiled and walked backwards down the stairs. 

Jade smiled and closed the door, not even saying bye. She looked back in the living room, noticing that Zach was in the kitchen. She walked over to the couch and pulled the book from under the cushion, slowly making her way upstairs.

"I didn't know you liked white roses!" Zach yelled to her. Jade froze and scoffed, but kept walking up the stairs. She suddenly stopped and loudly gasped.

"Dammit, I'm suppose to be going with Olivia on that so-called-date Friday night!" she whined. Then suddenly she really felt like she was coming down with something!