[pt.25] The End of The Darkness

Part 25

THE END OF THE DARKNESS

[Mikael POV]

The war between humans and demons had yet come to an end. But the demons had suffered a great loss when they lost their supposedly new leader Zeva. The undead army would have swept them all clean, if only Lord Uriel didn’t suddenly disappear after he sealed the gate to the underworld—his summoned army disappeared with him. The demons that were left in the upper world scattered and hid themselves deep in the forest or mountain. Soldiers were sent to hunt them down, but it would take some time before they could eradicate all demons—if that’s even possible.

I spent the remaining autumn days to chop some wood and to secure provisions for the next season. Raphael came over once in a week to check on Lunalea. She was still unconscious, but her condition was stable. He told me to keep her warm; well, I knew that much. Each time he came, we would talk and drink for hours, and I was grateful because he’s the only company I had in this secluded place (I didn’t come down to the village until spring came). Raphael brought me tidings from outside world, from the castle. As time went by we slowly became close friends; though I still felt a pang of jealousy everytime he laid a finger on my wife, I could repress that feeling easily.

The winter was harsh. There were at least three storms every week. I mostly stayed inside making sure Lunalea’s warm enough; the fireplace was always lit. Her belly was getting bigger slowly, and I felt relieved because it meant our baby growing—I never forget to inject the nutritions. Other than that, I spent my time learning to cook and reading books on blacksmith. That was a job I was going to do as soon as I could go to the village and find someone to teach me.

The winter was cruel. The coldness it brought emphazised my sorrow and loneliness. Every morning, day, and night, I would talk to Lunalea about random things, constantly telling her how much I loved her and telling her to come back to me, as if she could hear me. I would whisper to her belly as well, talking to our unborn baby. But no matter how sad I felt, I never shed a tear; I let the sky did that job in the form of falling snow.

Four and a half months passed and still there’s no sign of Lunalea waking up. However, when the spring came, it brought a new hope. And I would watch the sun rose with a smile on my face. I knew everything would get better.

[Lunalea POV]

I felt like I was floating forever. How long had time passed? I didn’t know..Darkness was all around me. I couldn’t see, couldn’t hear, couldn’t feel anything. It’s like I was dead but my mind refused to be shut down. I found myself thinking about a lot of things..the meaning of my existence, my parents—my kind innocent mother and my cunning demon father, my love, Lord Mikael.. and our unborn child. What happened to my baby..? Did I lose it? What would Lord Mikael think of me…such an irresponsible wife, irresponsible mother…

Grief. Sorrow. I had lost everything that’s dear to me… I was alone.

‘No, you’re not. Wake up! We need you..’ came a faint whisper.

Who? Who’s that? I could hear now?

‘Wake up..’

I wanted to wake up, but how..? I felt too weak to even move a muscle. But the whisper kept calling. The thought that I was needed brought me will and strength. I tried hard to lift a hand and press it against my chest. When I finally did it, I could feel my heart beating; constantly and very slowly. ‘I am still alive.. come on, wake up.. I’m not dead yet..’ I kept telling myself.

Then I stopped floating—I was falling in the darkness. I still couldn’t see anything, but I could feel the wind brushing against my skin. I could feel the coldness and harshness, feeling my body shiver. Fortunately, it wasn’t too long before I hit a soft warm ground. The impact was very minimal, as if the wind laid me gently there.

I found myself able to move, so I tried to sit up. I looked around but saw nothing but darkness. I sighed, ‘I’m used to it now.’

Just when I was thinking of what to do next, out of nowhere a pair of arms snaked around me, one grasping my waist, and one my neck. “Miss me?” whispered a cold malicious voice, making me froze.

“Zeva.” I breathed the name out.

She tightened her grip. “Yes, dear.. And you finally come down to see me.” I felt her grinning as she pressed her cold lips against my neck. I shivered and was suddenly filled with rage; she’s the one who had made me did horrible things!

I grabbed her hand that was hovering above my chest, then brought it to my mouth and bit down hard. Zeva hissed in surprise and loosened her grip. I quickly released myself from her, dashed forward and turned around at a safe distance. For the first time, I came face to face with my demon side, and the sight made shock.

Our physical appearances were identical, except that she had crimson red eyes and greyish skin, and she was torn. Yes, she had several nasty bleeding cuts on her front, her arms and legs. I gasped.

“What’s the matter?” she grinned wider, blood streaming down from the corner of her mouth. “Aren’t you coming to finish me off?”

“What..?” I whispered.

“Then do it!” she barked, taking one step towards me. “Use your magic! Freeze me! Burn me! Strike me with lightning!” with each exclamation she moved one step closer and I found myself rooted to the ground.

I shook my head slowly, grimacing as if I could feel the pain that she felt. But then again.. She was me. I was her. We were one. Even if she was someone else, I couldn’t bear to witness this scene.. I couldn’t bear to see someone wounded so gravely..

All of a sudden she laughed out loud. “You’re weak!” she pointed her finger at me, “You can never kill me! Never!!” her voice echoed in my head. Then she stumbled down, coughing blood. Her face twisted in agony. Automatically my hand reached out to her. Despite all the hatred I had for her, I felt this urge to ease her pain. But then I stopped in mid-air when I felt a tug at the lower part of my dress.

I looked down to see a small being clad in a deep blue hooded-cloak. It shook its head and pointed towards a direction. I turned my head at the direction and saw a warm blue light far in a distance. “I want me to go there?” I asked the thing; but it had already disappeared. I turned back to Zeva. By now she was lying on the ground, her eyes were frantic but she couldn’t move her limbs. Should I end her suffering right away?

I kneeled beside her and took her head upon my lap. She glared at me furiously. “You can’t kill me me.” she spat the words with pure hatred and disgust, then in a flash her hand flew upwards and grabbed my neck. I was shocked, but never had the chance to untangle her hand from me because a moment later her hand crumbled into ashes. The rest of her body followed almost instantly. Dumbstricken, I just sat there for I didn’t know how long, staring at the pile of ashes that was gradually swept away by the wind. I felt a single tear run down my face and I quickly brushed it.

‘It’s over.’ I told myself. I got up and searched for the blue light. To my relief, it’s still there. I started walking, fixing my eyes on the small light, afraid that if I turned away or even blinked it would disappear. Somehow, I had no doubt what was waiting for me beyond the light. I could almost feel his touch, almost hear his voice calling me.. and I broke into a run, my heart soared as the light got bigger.

“My Lord Mikael, I am back..”

***

A/N

Okay..this is the last chapter. Phew..!

Thank you so much everyone for supporting me and staying with me this far..you know who you are. =)

Please let me know if you find any glitch, mistake, error, or if there are things I left unexplained. I will refine this work, so your feedbacks are greatly appreciated. When it's refined I'm going to post the whole story.

Thank you again and have a nice day! =D

xoxo