Chapter Six

It was hard to tell where the gunshots were coming from, but I knew they were extremely close. Even worse, the sound was beginning to get the walkers all excited. More of them began dragging their feet out in the street, in search of I’m sure what they believed to be their next meal. On top of being seriously concerned about the walkers and the gunshots, I was surprised to feel annoyance stirring somewhere inside me. I had been relying on finding this town. Looks like I would have to try my luck elsewhere.

There was an alleyway to my right and I crawled across the sidewalk until I was safely pressed against the brick wall, a black iron fence partially blocking my view of the street. I glanced over my shoulder to see the alley behind me was clear aside from a chain link fence. I could get away now. One quick hop over the fence and I would be home free before I had to deal with any bullshit. The last thing I needed was to get caught in some sort of survivor vs. survivor crossfire.

I turned to leave when the sound of gunfire grew louder. A pick-up truck screeched to a stop in front of me. I froze and pressed as close to the wall as I could. He had a gun in his hand and was screaming something, though it was hard to understand. I was surprised to hear an answering call from over my head. I looked up to see a shadowy figure of a man perched on the roof.

“Don’t leave me!” He yelled. The driver of the pick-up revved the engine, ready to bolt.  I looked back at the figure on the roof and let out a gasp as he jumped to the roof of the building next to me. I should have taken my chances then. My brain was hollering at me to get up and run. I didn’t, though. I don’t know what made me stay, but I didn’t move. I just watched as the figure on the roof suddenly slipped and fell. A strangled cry escaped my lips before I could stop myself. I clamped a hand over my mouth, although I doubted anyone could hear me over the continuous gunfire and yelling from the truck.

A boy, not much older than Gabe, was barely a foot away from where I hid. He was screaming in pain. For a second, it looked like he had missed the fence and just hit the dumpster. I leaned forward onto my knees, though, and saw otherwise. One of the horribly sharp spikes on the fence had gone straight through his leg, leaving him utterly helpless. “Oh god, help me! Please!” He cried.

I heard the truck engine rev again and peered around the fence. “I’m sorry, Randall. I’m so sorry man!” The passenger of the truck cried through the window. A second later, the vehicle had shot down the street, zooming away from the town and out of outstretched hands of the walkers that had gathered in the street. I was now aware of the herd that was moving towards the alley, towards the boy’s terrified screams. I felt stuck, torn between saving my own ass or helping out this stranger, who clearly needed to be saved.

“God damn it.” I muttered to myself. It was almost ironic. Had I not been wishing for weeks for some sort of human contact? Looks like my wish was coming true, though not the least bit in the way I would have liked. I was wary of the walkers, but those could easily be taken care of. I was more worried about the other shooters. Though, I hadn’t seen them, I knew the guys in the pick-up truck had to have been exchanging gunfire with someone other than walkers. I had already made up my mind, though.

I pushed myself to my feet, my bat in my hands. I swung at the closest walker. Its skull splattered under the weight of my swing before it dropped to the pavement.

“Holy shit! Please, you gotta get me out of here. They left me here! Oh god, they left me to die!” The boy, Randall, shouted at me.

I turned on him. “I’m going to help you, but I need you to shut up! I know you’re in pain, but you’re attracting every single walker in a five mile radius!” I hissed at him.

His eyes widened, caught off guard by my tone. The look lasted a second though before replaced once again by one of sheer terror. “Please, don’t kill me! I’m not with those guys. I’m just a kid!”