Wedding Bells And The Start Of Hell

I’m not sure what exactly I expected, but walking into a huge room that was decorated the way pretty much any wedding would, was definitely not on the list. I guess I expected something much darker, with flames here and there and demons waiting to rip someone’s head off. But everyone looked normal, for the most part. Sure, some had oddly colored eyes and there were a few who looked anything but human, but it was still nothing like I thought it would be.

Walking down the aisle felt like I was walking to my death, though I knew there was no chance of me being killed. At least, not until after the wedding and Jake got what he wanted. But all the time by myself had given me time to think, and I had a feeling that me dying, at any point, might throw a wrench into things. Then again, it might just make things easier for him. One less person to worry about.

All eyes had turned to me as the typical wedding music played, and with every step I wanted to run. Anywhere but here would be fine with me. Jake’s eyes were on me the most, a small grin on his face as he watched me get closer. At my side was one of the guys who had been with Jake the night I came with him, seeing as I had no family to be there.

As I reached the alter the guy moved away and I stepped up beside Jake. He was finally getting what he wanted, but he’d find that it wasn’t going to be as easy as he thought it would after this. He no doubt thought I was just some weak girl whose bark was worse than her bite, but that wasn’t the case. Not anymore. When I was determined my mind could never be changed, and I was more determined now than ever before to fix things.

The preacher started everything, and the wedding went on as any other would. The only real difference I noticed was that there were no vows, which was probably for the best. They’d all be fake, anyways, and everyone knew that. No use wasting time, right?

Then things started coming to a close, and Zyten’s words came into my head. The ones about a blood wedding. I was aware that no blood had been drawn, yet. And as soon as I saw the rather decorative dagger removed from its place on the alter I knew that was about to change. My heart sped up as the preacher brought it closer. How this worked was a mystery to me, but I watched as he took each of Jake’s hands and slid it across his palms, a crimson line left in its wake.

As he turned to me I copied what Jake had done, and winced a bit at the pain as it sliced across my palms. We turned to each other then and pressed our hands together, palm to palm like someone staring out of a glass door. I think the fact that I actually had to kiss this guy was the worst, and I wanted to kick him as he closed the distance between us, but I resisted the urge to do so. That wouldn’t go over so well.

When our lips finally touched I could feel something strange happening. It felt like the energy was being sucked right out of me, but at the same time another was being pulled into me. My whole body was growing weak and when he finally broke the kiss I could feel my eyes growing heavy. Jake pulled me close, holding me protectively to his chest, just before my legs had given out. If it wasn’t for the fact that he was the very guy I never wanted to see again in my life, it would have been nice. Being held there like that.

At least this time I didn’t black out, like I expected myself to, though I wasn’t far from doing so. My body was to weak to do anything, even to keep my eyes open. It probably looked like I was out, but I was aware of everything going on around me. More so than ever before. Every breath, every footsteps, every word anyone made, I could head and knew exactly where it was coming from.

Jake picked me up and turned to carry me from the room, but not before pausing and speaking to someone. “You know what to do.” That was all he said, and I hated not knowing what he meant by it, or who it was to.

When we finally reached the room, which wasn’t the one I had been staying in, he placed me gently on the bed, pulling the covers over me before leaving. It was a bit odd how kind he was acting towards me now, like I was some delicate flower. Maybe, just maybe I really did need to stay alive for all this to work out. Or it could be that he didn’t want to be the one to kill me because of some weird thing in Hell. There was also the possibility that he thought, since I seemingly admitted defeat, that he could use my powers to achieve his goal. In his dreams.

Speaking of dreams, before I knew it I had drifted off to sleep. The dreams that came with it weren’t ones I was used to. There was nothing around me, no clouds or grass, no trees or anything that showed life. It was nothing but a vast space, one that seemed to shift from white to black as it pleased, and I never really noticed it. “Hello?” I called, not expecting anyone to answer.

“You’ve done well, Riley,” said a female voice behind me. One I had heard before. My mother’s.

I spun around, but found nothing there. Just darkness, or light, or whatever it was that surrounded me. “Done well? I failed. I allowed him to get the power he wanted,” I replied, feeling guilt start to wash over me.

“That may be so, but he’s not the only one who gained power. Things have to stay in balance, else the world will come to and end and everyone, not just those who live on Earth, but also those in both Heaven and Hell as well. Because of that, even the smallest things keep balance, and those you wouldn’t expect. He’s got more power, but you gained the same amount. As things sit, you’re stronger than him. Always have been. All you have to do is learn to control what you have.”

“But how? There’s no one here to teach me, and I’m stuck in Hell. Any move I make will be seen.”

“You’re body may be in Hell, but your soul is free to go where it pleases. As your body sleeps now, your soul is here. And don’t worry, when you return I’ll be waiting to teach you everything. Until then, sleep well, my child.”