Chapter 4:He doesnt like me.. does he ?

For a place that Jade would rather not be, she was sure enough enjoying herself. Yes, she had to carry boxes around and stack books up by their order, but the atmosphere made her feel at home. Josh had showed her around the facilities and even gave her a discount card, to buy books. She didn't think it mattered much, but it was a nice gesture. 

"Excuse me," Jade said to a couple in the Romance isle. She was carrying a couple of books that had to be placed with the author. She bit her bottom lip looking to find the authors. Resulting to get on her hands and knees, she found them at the bottom shelf. Sighing she noticed she was in the H section and smirked. Looking around on the bottom two shelves she finally found what she was looking for. "Zachary Harris's 'Loves a Plenty'," Jade whispered out and pulled the book off the shelf.

"I see you're a hardworking employee," Josh said from the end of the isle. Looking up Jade smiled slightly and tucked Zach's book under her arm. She grabbed the last book, she had to categorize, placing it where it belonged.

"Well I would hope to think I am, I do want to get paid! Or I've been doing all this shit for nothing and someone's going to have to pay…and I'm not talking about paying me with the green," Jade laughed out. She slowly stood up and pulled the book out from under her arm and looked at it.

"Ah! I see you've found Zach's book. It's very good I think, but I maybe saying that because I'm a friend and a fan," Josh said after noticing it.

"Yea well I saw it just sitting there. I've never seen it or read it before," Jade admitted.

"It's pretty good I think it would mean a lot to him if you read it!"

Jade smiled and flipped the book over to look at the price. Her eyes widened and she gave a whistle. "Wow! No wonder he's still getting money. This book cost $35.50!"

"Well he did some magazine interviews and he's considered to be the new hot young author, nowadays," Josh said. Jade sighed and bent down to place the book back, when Josh's hand stopped her. "What are you doing?"

"I can't afford this!"

"You can't? Well then just take it anyway and let me pay for it!" Josh said. Jade couldn't believe he was serious. She didn't need anyone doing her any kinds of favors, but something in Josh's eyes made her want to take the offer. She smiled and stood back up and hugged the book to her chest.

"Thanks! But, I'm going to pay you back," she told him.

"No, no, no I won't have it since you're my friend's stepsister," Josh said. "Come on let me pay for it, because the store's going to close any minute!" Jade slowly followed to the cash registers.

After, Josh paid for her book Jade sat herself on a chair behind a cashier's desk. She tightly held onto her bag and she watched everyone leave and Josh ring up some little kid's book. Everyone else had left work because Josh wanted to close up the store. He didn't seem to trust anyone else to close up except for him. Come to thank of it, Josh was a very good manager. She had seen him smile and become friendly with his employees. It seemed like every one of them showed him the highest respect for it. She looked over at him smile at the customer…Josh deserved all of it! The respect that is!

"Come on let's go," Josh told Jade after turning off the lights. She pushed in her chair and ran up behind him.

"I didn't' think it could get so busy around here,' Jade said as Josh held the door for her. 

"You should see it when it's exam time," Josh joked. "There's my car." Jade looked the way he pointed at a silver Lexus and smiled. Josh pushed her lightly on the back to get her to move, since she seemed to be in total awe.

"Oh my goodness, it's beautiful," Jade sighed out. When she approached the car and she touched the door handle lightly. "I'm so sorry, I've been riding on a motorcycle for so long that I can't remember riding in a car." She looked up to catch Josh's warm smile and looked away.

"Well then madame your chariot awaits you," Josh said opening the passenger door. Jade hopped in and sighed at the feel of the seat. 

"This feels so nice you know, I won't have to be worrying about my hair, or bugs on my outfit," Jade told Josh once he got in the car and slammed his door. She closed her eyes at the feeling at the cool air blowing in her face, when Josh turned the car on. She grabbed her bag, which was in her lap, and placed it on the floor so the air could caress her body. It felt magnificent to her! Opening her eyes Jade felt as though someone was watching her. She looked over at driver's seat and was shocked to find…Josh was the one staring.

"Uh…I think we should go before Zach gets worried and has a hernia" Josh said paying attention to the front of the car. Jade blushed, as she reached to put her seatbelt across her chest. She was grateful that her long hair covered the side of her face or Josh would have noticed the hint of red on her cheeks. 

The whole ride back home, Jade found herself not being able to say anything to Josh. He was a nice guy and he obviously was interested in her, or so she thought. But, she found herself confused. She should be happy a guy as nice as Josh was interested in her, yet she couldn't stop to think what wait at home. Zach!! Looking down at her feet she saw the bag carrying his book. Why had she felt the need to buy his book anyway? Maybe, she was hoping his picture was on the back cover. Curious she reached to pick it up, unwrapping the book from its plastic containment. 

"Loves a Plenty," she read the title. The book was a well defined color of green and silver, with a pink flower spread on the front. She stroked the front cover and trailed them along the pages on the side. Flipping the book over she pretended to read the teaser, trying not to seem anxious to see if his picture was on the inside. She flipped the back cover open and her heart sped. Zach was standing with his hands in, blue jean, pockets and a white buttoned up shirt. His smile would have stretched a mile wide, if he wanted, but it was way too sexy for Jade to take in. She closed the book and placed it back into the plastic bag.

"Are you ok?" Josh asked, looking quickly at Jade, who was holding her bag tightly to her.

She smiled at him. "I'm ok!" Finally he stopped his car and turned it off. Jade didn't know if she should leave or if she should say something to Josh. She nervously looked at Josh as he looked at his lap. "Thanks for taking me home!"

"Your welcome it wasn't a problem," Josh said. Jade's eyebrows narrowed and she stared at him.

"Are you saying I'm some burden in your ass?" 

"No not at all, it's just that I didn't expect to be taking you of all people home," he sincerely said. 

"I'm sorry! I should have known you didn't mean anything by it. Honestly, I'm afraid to go inside," Jade told him. She looked up at the townhouse and sighed.

"Why not?!" Josh said sounding concerned.

"Nothing like that," Jade laughed out. "I'm just going through things right now and once I step my foot in there, I'm just going to think about them all over again." Jade admitted. 

"That's understandable. But, you can't hide from some things or life wouldn't be life, you know?" Josh told her. She looked at him and smiled, he did make her feel a little bit better. 

"Thank you! I guess I just need to be told that every now and then, sometimes I wonder if anyone gives a rat's ass about what's going on with me."

"You have friends and what about your boyfriend?" Josh said.

"Well my friend Olivia, is too busy worrying about guys, to care about me. Although, that makes us totally compatible as friends," Jade giggled.

"And your boyfriend?" 

"Why are so persistent to know about my boyfriend?" Jade asked questioningly, but she couldn't stop from slightly smiling. She turned to focus on him, anticipating to know where he was going with it. Josh sighed and nervously tapped his fingers on the steering wheel.

"I was just asking about him, that's all, but I guess he treats you well!" Josh said sounding beaten. 

Jade couldn't help it when she started, but when she noticed Josh's face fall at her innocent 'boyfriend' comment she laughed. She held onto her bag and popped the door open, leaving the bewildered Josh staring at her. 

"I can only work part-time," she told Josh, as she slammed the door.

"What days can you work? Since, I do know you're in college…"

"Don't treat me any special then the other people who work for you," Jade said stopping him in his tracks.

"I'm not; believe me I like to have people who will be able to work on their own schedule. It's seems to work better if they tell me when they can work!"

"How can that not be bad for business?" Jade asked. 

"Trust me when I say it hasn't." Jade looked at him curiously. That's why all the employees probably respected him. Could this possibly be what makes him so different? Or what made Jade feel as though he could take her mind off of Zach?

"I can work after school anytime after 4:30 pm to 12:00 am. Also, anytime during the weekend is good with me."

"How about you work 5pm-12am on Monday-Thursdays and 9am-5pm on Saturdays?" 

Jade thought quietly for a minute, as she began to think about the schedule. "Sure why not! I need the money and Zach needs the money for the rent."

"Well we have a deal," Josh added and smiled. "I should be going."

"So are you always at work?" Jade asked leaning in on the passenger window.

"Yes I am, I don't have anyone to spend it with…"Josh slurred out and stopped.

"Oh," Jade said, while bowing her head down. 

"Would you like to go to the museum tomorrow?" Josh asked Jade. She popped her head up and smiled shyly.

"Umm...I don't..." she stuttered.

"I shouldn't have asked. I wouldn't want your boyfriend to get angry at you or anything," Josh said. 

"What boyfriend?" Jade brazenly added. 

Josh looked at her skeptically. "But, you said…"

"I never said I had a boyfriend. I may have implemented that I had, but I never said I did," Jade told him.

"Oh!" was all Josh could say. "So?"

"I would love to go to a museum with you, Josh. How about picking me up at 8 in the morning?"

"You…you're going? Um...that would be a good time," Josh said smiling.

"Fine, then see you tomorrow!" Jade chimed out, walking up the steps to the townhouse. 

Opening the door slowly she turned around, noticing Josh looking at her from his car. She smiled and walked in, shutting the door softly. Her body melted on the door and grinned. Looking around she noticed the house was dark, but guessed Zach was in his room writing on his next book. The book! She looked down at her hands, at the bag, and sighed.

"I can't let him see this, or his ego is going to go sky high," Jade murmured. She bent down and slowly pulled off her shoes, deciding to tiptoe upstairs. Jade tried not to make a sound as she passed his door, but she couldn't help, to tell him she was home. "Hi I'm home," she told him. 

Zach was sitting at his desk typing something on the computer. He looked over his shoulder and noticed Jade standing in his doorway. "That was long; I thought you would have been home by now. How was it?" he asked.

"I had to carry boxes and put books up. It was like being in a library, but as you can tell I didn't die." Zach chuckled and got up. "Did you fix my door?"

"Well no I haven't gotten to it yet, but I could take a look at it now if you want," Zach said. He looked down at her bag in her hand and cocked his head to the side. "What did you get?"

Jade looked down at the bag and placed it behind her back shyly. "It's nothing, why don't you mind your own busy, I swear you can be so nosy sometimes," she shouted at him and walked to her room. She was about to slam her door when she remembered she may end up being locked in. At least, it would have kept Zach out. Jade left it cracked open just a bit and placed her bag down. Stripping off her clothes, but leaving her underwear on, she walked to her bed and flopped down. "That went well!" she said, speaking about the bag incident. "I can't wait until I see Josh tomorrow, and I guess I should turn it up a level," she said getting underneath her sheets to go to sleep.