Chapter Fourteen

It has been a week since Elliot and I hung out in his basement.  We haven't had much of an opportunity to see each other again, especially with the intensifying swim schedule.  Coach is getting all over Elliot's back to drop more time off his butterfly event before our big meet this weekend.  Additionally, Elliot and Cassi have been hammered with a list of arrangements to be made as team captain.  I haven't spoken about it with Elliot, but Cassi is constantly frazzled with schedules and plans.  It is their responsibility to organize the team dinners for the remainder of the year, as well as organize the rooming system for the State meet. 

"Do you have your stuff?" asks Cassi, jogging down the stairs with a purple gym bag and a crumpled stack of papers.

"Already in the car."  I groggily wipe at my eye, trying to force the sleep away.  It's only five in the morning, but if we want to reach the Washington meet before noon, we have to get a head start. 

"Let's go."  She doesn't wait for me before she flies out the door.  I am barely off the couch when I hear two consecutive slams: the back trunk, followed by the passenger door. 

I pause to lock the front door, flinching when Cassi lays down on the car horn.  I turn to glare at her, then glance over at our neighbor's house.  Who wouldn't love a five-o'clock wake up call, especially with a new baby in the house?

"Calm down," I say as I scramble into the driver's seat.  Goosebumps trail my bare arms and legs, and I finally have to accept that summer is over.  The key is already in the ignition with the cool air blasting, desperately trying to warm up.

"Let's go!"  Cassi smacks her hands against the dash board.  "I have to get a good seat."

 I roll my eyes, but pull out of the drive anyway.  The school parking lot, where our bus will pick us up for Washington, is less than five minutes away.  When we arrive, there are only three other cars parked in the entire area.  Not even the bus has shown up yet.

"I told you we would be early," I say wryly, resisting the urge to roll my eyes.

"You're fine," says Cassi.  "Plus, we'll get good seats now.  I'm going to sit next to Elliot.  He already promised he would."

Something in my stomach twitches.  Something like jealousy.  Why would Elliot promise to sit next to her?  I mean, I know he and I can't sit next to each other.  If we did, people would get suspicious.  Especially Cassi.  I still haven't told her, nor do I plan to.  A slight spasm of guilt riddles beneath the jealousy, because Cassi deserves to know the truth.  She needs to know that Elliot and I are involved.  Then again, it isn't like Elliot and I are exclusive or anything.  We aren't even dating.  We've been on one date, which some people may not even count, seeing as it took place in his basement.

"That'll be fun," I say through gritted teeth.  It's true.  She'll probably have a great time sitting next to Elliot, who wouldn't? 

We sit in silence for a few minutes.  When Jenna pulls up, Cassi squeals, as though it's been years since the two have spoken, and peels out of the car.  She stands at Jenna's new jeep, admiring the exterior before piling into the passenger seat.  I start to pick at my steering wheel's cover, feeling bristled by the fact I got up twenty minutes earlier than necessary.

A sharp knock slams against my window, causing me to scream and lurch sideways.  A deep laugh melts through the glass, instantly flushing my face with embarrassment.  I clap a hand around my mouth, as though I can take back the girlish scream, and slowly roll down the driver's window.

Elliot stares at me with amused eyes and a smug grin.

"Bit jumpy?" he teases, leaning against my open window.