13 - Listen Once and You Can't Turn Me Off

A/N: For once I actually finished a thing ahead of schedule and can post it one time! Unfortunately, that's probably because we're getting close to the end...that's right, folks, only 2 more chapters to go! Wow...this is my first chapter fanfic since Unexpected (I think...maybe I finished some with OCs?) and it got a great response. I just...wow...thanks guys!

Anyway, as for this chapter...it might have gotten a little rushed and I wrote like half of it at 1am, so it might be a little weird and OOC. I really need to start editing...shout out any mistakes if you notice them!

Abandoned Driveways

13-Listen Once and You Can't Turn Me Off

Kurogane stared blankly out the window, watching the sky slowly darker. Tomoyo had gone home a couple hours ago, but Fai was still curled up on Kurogane's couch, watching his way through every movie Tomoyo kept there and the few she'd brought with her that day and decided to leave with him.

The sound of insignificant dialogue in the background was surprisingly soothing, and Kurogane couldn't help but wonder if it was because it made the house seem less lonely. It also helped to know that there was another person there. Each time he thought about it, Kurogane had to fight down a blush. Tomoyo's parting shot-and the giggles that accompanied it-didn't help at all.

"You boys be good!" she'd called as she backed down the path from Kurogane's door to the car that waited at the curb, "Well...not too good!" With a wink and a wave, she was off. Fai laughed lightly, leaning into Kurogane's side. Kurogane thought about shoving him off in embarrassment, but settled for glaring up at the sky with a heavy blush staining his tanned cheeks instead.

"That was your fault," he'd muttered, referring to about an hour before, when Fai had taken the opportunity provided by a break between movies to kiss Kurogane in front of his young, far-from-innocent cousin.

"Whatever do you mean, Kuro-chu?" the blond replied with mock innocence, nuzzling his sharp nose into the hollow under Kurogane's jaw. Kurogane turned away from him, muttering half-heartedly about personal space.

The two were still preoccupied with their own unimportant tasks when a knock at the door interrupted them both. Fai looked up from the couch, his eyes bright and curious. He looked comfortable and almost happy where he was, but the look changed drastically when Kurogane pulled open the door to reveal Ashura's familiar figure on the other side.

Fai froze, clinging to Kurogane's sleeve with one small, seemingly insignificant hand. His expression remained blank, but Kurogane's trained eye could see the flat-out panic in his eyes. The weight of the difference hit Kurogane like a physical pain and added to his negative opinion of the man in front of him.

"Good morning, Ashura," Fai chirped. His voice was superficial, but Kurogane could hear the emotions warring under the surface. It almost sickened him to hear that Fai could still love and respect Ashura after all the taller man had put him through, but the recent presence of his own cousin reminded him why Fai felt that way.

No matter what they did or how they acted, family was important. Fai believe Ashura had his reasons, and Kurogane had to admit that he was no mind-reader-for all he knew, Fai could be right. It didn't excuse Ashura's behavior, but he really didn't know their family well. A flicker of shame passed through him as he realized just how forward he had been, trying to put himself between Fai and the people who raised him.

Instead of voicing any of his sudden realizations, Kurogane merely nodded a greeting to the man on his doorstep. Ashura returned the gesture with an icy smile before focusing his attention on his cousin.

"Time to come home," Ashura informed him, his tone almost formal. It set Kurogane's teeth on edge, but he promised himself he would stay out of the situation unless Fai indicated that he wanted Kurogane's help.