Chapter One

A/N: I cringe every time I read the first chapter lol. Writing first chapters isn't always my favorite, so give it a shot it gets better :-) 

Mercy

It was never difficult to pick out which top would fit me best. Conclusion; I didn't really care. As a daughter that comes from a simple, unethical family, I simply do my best and achieve what is within my reach, and not far beyond it. 

Slacker? Probably not fully. Overachiever? Not quite there yet either. I stopped and stared, watching the restless coworkers of my family rush on by, waiting tables as I sat quietly in a stool back in the kitchen, reading as much as I could about US history.

I feverishly flipped pages, mentally hoping to fill my brain with knowledge that was qualified essentially for the final history test on Monday. Everything we had learned about our nation's history completely spread into the pages within every flip. Right at my hand, a book held so much knowledge is was almost impossible to pick which was more exciting. The fact that I didn't have to work due to my studying, or the fact that this book is highly comprehensible. 

Maybe I should introduce myself. 

My name is Serenity Carter. All American, a little bit of Ecuadorian, and quiet around those I down right hate. I loathed insensitive assholes that seem to fill this universe, one of which I wish I could burn.

Finals were finally being brought up, and the last few months of being a junior for me has been plainly lived behind the limelight; in the shadows. I tried to ignore attention, but it always caught up to me either way. 

You could say I was a bit of a...pessimist. I rarely cared about everything and my reckless impulses were trailed with consequences I didn't consider twice. 

My chocolate brown eyes gazed up ahead of me, watching Riley Manor's focused expression. His gorgeous, bright piercing sapphire eyes directly eyeing the chef, his eyebrows scrunched up as he blew air out of his perfectly full lips.

He was the definition of attractive. I couldn't help but smile, watching as his hand came up to loosen the black tie that complimented his attire. I had a full on crush on him, but his attitude was one that I hated, but I could never get over. 

"Sari! C'mon! Get off that stool and come help your mom with drink orders!" My mother yelled across the kitchen, obviously being aware of my lack of concentration the second Riley walked in. I just couldn't bare to see him flirt around with other females, bluntly ignoring my presence. And yet I was stupid enough to have a minor crush. But minor was an understatement. 

The second I wrapped my mind around my surroundings, I was strictly being ordered to refill drinks as my mother - who was still pretty young to have a seventeen year-old daughter and a five year-old little boy in her mid thirties - was ordering the types of flavors.  

Cup after cup, grasping them between my small hands and pushing down the lever for the flavoring, bubbled drink. Coke, Sprite. Different types of citrus sodas after one and the other. It was as if my motoring skills were controlled by a multitasking urge. While my mind was on Riley, other things were occurring.