Twenty Seven

Yay! New chapter! And I'm happy today! It's a miracle! Oh wait, it was MidnightEyes, black96 and TheCookieMonster! I can't be bothered to dedicate, so I won't. But thanks you guys! And everyone check out their stuff! Now! After you read this chapter! And vote! Heheheheh...

On with the story!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was such an idiot. The stranger outside picked up his hat, looking disgruntled, and walked off murmuring to himself. I sank back down against the wall and sighed, a few relieved tears falling from my closed eyes. Why was I so paranoid?

I knew the answer immediately. Alex wasn't here to protect me; he made me feel safe and secure. Now that he hated me, I felt alone in the dark scary place in my mind. More tears fell and I began full-out sobbing. It had only been four days and I already felt like my heart was tearing in two. He was ignoring me completely, trying to block me out of his life. Why had my words hurt him so much? What about the whole 'sticks and stones may break my bones, but names can never hurt me' thing? Surely this followed the same principle?

I stood up, blinded by my tears, and stumbled up to my room, flopping onto my bed with Alex's hoodie in my arms. It still smelt of him and it comforted me slightly, subsiding my tears to the point where I could see. They still tumbled down my cheeks but I scrubbed them, knowing my parents would be home soon; I didn't need questions.

For the rest of that week Alex treated me the same, blanking me and only speaking to snap at me. Peeta's hurtful glares changed to looks of pity and sadness; she had seen my attempts to make him happy again and was trying herself. It changed nothing, he hated me.

It had been three weeks since Alex spoke to me, three weeks I had been alone, three weeks I had suffered through the nightmares, three weeks I had a hole in my heart. Finally, a day came when we were both kept behind. I didn't listen to the teachers drone, I watched the amazing boy stood next to me, aching for him to hold me again. The teacher dismissed us and Alex hurried out of the classroom. I stood in front of him and grabbed his arm so he couldn't leave. This was my final chance, or I was going to give up.

"Alex, I'm sorry! I didn't mean it! I was just-" I began. Alex cut me off.

"No Scarlett. I don't want to hear it. I'm just a stupid boy who doesn't care about anyone, remember?" His voice had such venom in it and I flinched back.

"But..."

"No. You go your way and I'll go mine. It's what you wanted isn't it?" He spun around and walked down the corridor, turning a corner and leaving me alone.

"Alex!" I screamed, tears filling my eyes. I wanted him to come back and tell me he understood, he forgave me, he would never leave me alone again... He didn't come back.

With a muffled sob, I walked down the corridor and out of the doors. My blurred vision never left the tarmac I walked on; my ears were filled with my choked cries of mourning. I'd lost the only person I trusted through stupidity. If I'd checked my phone, kept it in my hand, we wouldn't be in this mess. I would still have Alex and he would still have me. He missed me as well; Underneath the blazing anger in his eyes, there was sadness and heartbreak. We needed each other.

I stopped where I was, trying to breathe through my sobs, before continuing on. A squeal of brakes and the roar of an engine made me looked up and I stared at the oncoming car in shock. My legs wouldn't move and I squeezed my eyes shut in wait of the end. In my head, I deserved it.

"Scarlett!" someone roared, pushing me down and out of the way of the car. I groaned slightly as I hit the ground, keeping my eyes tight shut. The person was still holding me, clutching me close to his chest and shaking slightly. It reminded me of when Alex held me like this and I peeled my eyes open, gasping as I realised it was Alex.