Second Chances (Nicholas Hoult #2)

Second Chances ~ unedited

!+!+!+!

(3rd POV)

"Mr. Hoult?" The voice on the phone asks. "Yeah?" He replies hesitantly. "You're mother listed you as an emergency contact if anything were to happen to her. I'm sorry to inform you but she passed away last night." He shows no emotion, He left that life a long time ago so why should he care. "Why does this involve me?" He says harshly. "It involves you sir, because you are now in full custody of your little sister." His face drops. "My what?" The operator sighs and repeats herself. "Arabelle, she's five." He wasn't even aware his mother had other children. "Sir-" He snaps. "Stop calling me that. I'm not my father. He was a lying bastard who turned my mom into what she was. It's Nicholas." Her breath comes through the receiver as static.

"Nicholas, You're sister is in protective custody now. We will hold her overnight, so you have time to get here. We expect you in the morning or she goes into foster care. Do you understand?" He nods and then rolls his eyes. "Yes." She sounds relieved. "Any questions?" He pauses. "Where are you guys located?" The shuffle of papers is an evident sound. "She was placed in holding in Santa Monica, California. Will getting there be a problem?" He looks out the window of his sunny L.A Apartment. "No. No problem." He tells her. "Oh and one last thing. All of your mothers assets were left in your possession, at least until Arabelle turns a legal age." He furrows his eyebrows. "What assets?" The lady pauses to pull up a file on the computer.

"Her car, home, objects she possessed and liquid assets." She says reading it off the screen. "Alright. I'll be there in the morning." He's about to hang up when the lady speaks for the last time. "This might be out of line, But you're about to become a parent. So do everything in your power to keep this precious little girl safe and healthy." He sighs, the full realization bearing down on him. "I will." He says suddenly out of breath. He ends the phone call and starts to pack.

~~~~~~~

"Before you see the child, there is paperwork." The social worker informs him. He nods running a hand through his hair. He's led into a cold office with a just as cold appearance and feeling to it. The worker takes her place behind the desk and pulls out a folder. She proceeds to ask questions, and have him sign things. When the paperwork is over, she begins to explain how these cases work. "Because you haven't been in the Childs' life, social worker visits are required until you're deemed a suitable parent." She doesn't wait for a response, just keeps going. "You will obtain full responsibility for the child. Her every need and care is now your every need and care. Food, clothes, education. All on your plate." After discussing more legal things, she cracks a smile. "Would look like to see her now?" Believe it or not, Nicholas smiles. "Yes."

He's taken back to a playroom for all the children. He's stopped at the doorway. The worker looks up at him. "Do you know which one she is?" He scans the room and his eyes fall on a little brunette girl with a pony tail and pale blue eyes. She's sitting there stacking the Lego's. He points to her. "She looks like me." He breathes out. She nods in agreement. She walks over to the girl and gestures for Nicholas to follow slowly behind. "Arabelle, Sweetheart you have a visitor." She flicks her head up and looks around.

Arabelle stands up and presses her lips together. "Hi." She pops out. Nicholas crouches down to her height. He loses his balance and lands on his butt. "Hi." The little girl is rocking back and forth on her feet. "My mom's dead." She blurts. Nicholas can't help smile. "Mine too." Her head drops. "I'm Nicholas. Your big brother." Arabelle smiles. "I'm Arabelle. Your little sister." Nicholas opens his mouth wide. "No way! I've always wanted a little sister." She giggles. "I'm gonna take you home now. Are you ready?" The child nods ecstatically and runs to get her belongings she brought with her.