Chapter Two

Kaycee awoke slowly, her head pounding in protest as she tried to force one eye open only to close it as the small glint of sunlight made her sensitive eyes water.

            “Ugh!” she groaned groggily lifting one weak hand to brush some hair out of her face only to freeze at the realisation that something was wrong.

It took a moment for her to realise that if she had one hand holding her aching head and one trapped beneath her body then how was there an arm draped across her holding her breast? And now that she thought about it what was that heavy weight across her leg?

Holding her breath Kaycee forced her eyes open ignoring the pain that caused and turned her head slowly to see a sleeping man huddled against her, a naked man if she wasn’t mistaken.

            “Oh my god!” she whispered wondering what the hell had happened last night. She racked her brain furiously even as her skull felt like it was being hammered from the inside.

She remembered going out on the strip with her friends and then Hannah had suggested they go in to the casino. Even though it wasn’t her sort of place she remembered that she had been determined to enjoy herself and when they had been approached by a group of men she hadn’t ducked out like she normally would have. She remembered there being a cowboy in the group who had introduced himself as…. as…

            “Dammit!” she muttered furiously as it took a few moments for her brain to kick in. What was his bloody name? Greg? Jack?

            “Jake!” she said a bit too loudly and she grimaced as she waited for the naked man to stir but he stayed silent and she breathed a small sigh of relief as she glanced at him once more to determine that he was the cowboy only to frown as she realised he didn’t look much like him.

The cowboy, Jake she reminded herself, had been quite nerdy looking which was what had endeared her to him. He reminded her of herself and she had felt sorry for him thinking maybe he had as hard a time as her talking to girls.

They had been talking and drinking and gambling and there had been more drinking and then… Nothing! It was blank. She had no idea how she had gotten from the casino and no idea how she had ended up here.

“Shit!” she muttered to herself as she tried to figure out a way to leave the bed and this room, that was clearly not hers, without waking naked boy.

Okay, so she just needed to move his arm a little bit and slide her leg that way, and then she would be free.

Unless he responded by pulling her further against him!

“Shit!” she hissed. Never one for patience Kaycee decided to give up on this tactic and instead pulled her elbow back sharply in to the hard planes of his stomach which had him sitting up abruptly and releasing her.

“Ugh!” he groaned and Kaycee rolled her eyes as she slipped from the bed, relieved to discover that she was at least wearing her underwear, and retrieved her clothes noticing as she did so that there were two cowboy boots discarded by the bed and a stetson abandoned near the door.

A sudden image of the two of them kissing and her removing his hat so she could run her fingers through his hair had Kaycee blushing and she bolted for the bathroom before he could say a word.

Pulling the dress on as quickly as she could Kaycee tried unsuccessfully to get rid of the blush that was slowly stealing across her face. She had never been the type of girl to have one night stands, if truth be told she had never actually slept with anyone. And the thought that she had thrown her virginity away on a drunken fling that she couldn’t even remember made her want to be swallowed by the floor.

She waited a few moments to see if the ground would comply and when it failed to swallow her whole Kaycee took a deep breath and readied herself for the inevitable.

Opening the bathroom door she walked out almost crashing in to him in the process. She narrowed her eyes suspiciously wondering if he had been waiting for her to come out or if he just happened to be stood there when she had decided to come out.

            “We should talk!” he said running a hand through his hair as she glanced around searching for her bag.

            “What about?” she asked still searching for the missing bag and he frowned at her.

            “Well, about last night,” he suggested and she shrugged as she became distracted by his near nakedness, he was wearing his underpants now but nothing else and just the sight of him was making her mouth go dry.

            “Um, could you maybe put some clothes on first?” Kaycee asked hesitantly and he sighed before collecting some fresh clothes and heading to the bathroom.

            “We’ll have that talk though,” he reminded her and Kaycee nodded slowly only waiting until he was safely in the bathroom before she bolted for the door. She had no idea where her bag was but everything in it was replacable and she was happy to give it up if it meant getting away from this awkward situation as quickly as possible.

Jake dressed quickly, his mind more on the girl outside who had looked so young and fragile. He couldn’t remember much from last night but he could remember enough to know that they were in serious trouble.

He remembered noticing her across the bar looking nervous which struck him as odd considering how gorgeous she looked. He had been drooling from where he stood and when he had gone over she had been more than willing to give a nerdy cowboy a chance, something his friends could barely believe.

It hadn’t taken much alcohol before she seemed drunk and he wasn’t far behind her. He had tried to do the gentlemanly thing and suggested she go back to her room but she had been determined to stay out and enjoy herself. “Be better than Sarah!” she had muttered several times, whatever that meant.

He remembered passing a jewellery store and one of them coming up with the bright idea of buying a ring but then his mind went blank and he couldn’t remember what they had done, until he had woken up next to her.

Normally he woke up next to a woman feeling satisfied and with an itching feeling that he needed to get rid of her but this time he woke up feeling strange and protective towards her. He also had the feeling that they had done something they really shouldn’t have and trying to remember was giving him a migraine.

He dressed in record time and exited the bathroom only to realise the room was empty and the girl was gone.

            “Dammit!” he cursed furiously as he ran a hand through his hair that was still sticky from the gel.

It was an unusual occurrence for a girl to leave him. Normally he was the one sneaking out of their room or kicking them out of his. Never before had someone walked out on him after spending the night and it irritated the hell out of him that she had ignored his request and left.

With a sigh he shoved his hands in to his pocket wandering how he was going to find her now since the only thing he knew was that her name was Kaycee. He frowned as his hands came in to contact with a piece of paper and pulling it out he paled considerably at the words written there.

                        Marriage Certificate

“Shit!” he swore as he sank on to the bed in shock. He had known they had done something stupid but to go this far. Marriage? He was married?

And then it hit him. This was the perfect solution, just what he had needed. He had needed a wife and now he had one. All he had to do was track her down and convince her that maybe this wasn’t the worst thing that had ever happened. Yeah, because that would be easy.

It was as he rested his head in his hands that he noticed something sticking out from under the bed and realised she had left her bag behind. Picking it up gingerly he hesitated. A woman’s bag was private, something his mother had drilled in to him at a young age, and yet it might hold a clue as to where Kaycee was.

With a sigh he began searching through the small black clutch coming out with a bit of money, some gum, and success, an ID card with her address on it. With a smile he slipped the rest of the things back in to her bag. It was time he found out more about his pretty young wife.