11 | Fix You

Chapter Eleven

        Fast forward a week or so to the talent show.

Both Jo and I had passed our auditions at the library after our impromptu swim in the Coast's lake. We managed to shake off our nerves about that and laugh, eventually. Really, I found it ridiculous. To think I actually thought we were going to drown in a waist-deep body of water.

Nothing much worth reciting happened during the course of the week- save for welcoming Dory and Marlin to Nemo in my aquarium.

As I was due for a visit from my Windsorite friends, Jonah, Zeke, and D.J.- I arranged for them to come down to Abbottsville the day before the show. That way, they'd be able to see Jo and I perform.

"Leo! We're leaving now. Are you ready?" Mom called from somewhere in the house.

"Just about!" I called back in reply. She had me get all dressed up again in the same suit I had worn to Enchanté for Jo and I's first official date. I looked pretty slick- but then again, I suppose most classical violinists do.

My friends and family were already at the venue, waiting for my mom and I to turn up. It was 6:45- doors had opened at the Abbottsville Community Center at 6:30. As the show was scheduled to start at seven, performers were required to be there at 6:50.

Everything had been coordinated by one of Abbottsville's leaders, Brenda Dupree. She had organized a crew to do all of the technical stuff, like DJ'ing and lighting and whatnot. Then there was a group assigned to the snack and refreshment tables, and a few posted at the ticket booth. A team of adults- mostly parents of the young children in the show- were positioned backstage to guarantee things went along smoothly. And all of this was only what I had seen at the rehearsal- who knew what else was going on 'behind the scenes.'

It was really a well-oiled machine.

Once I was done standing in front of the bathroom mirror for a good few minutes, I figured I was as ready as I'd ever be. With one last vain look at my handsome reflection (I'm really not that narcissistic, I promise), I took a deep breath and tromped down the stairs.

Mom was already outside, waiting for me in one of our family's two minivans. I fetched my violin case, locked the front door, and joined her in the car.

"This is exciting!" Mom gushed as we drove, "I'm so glad you and Jo are in this."

We arrived at the Community Center just on time. I kissed my mom's cheek, and she wished me luck. I told her to pass on a hug to the rest of our family as I hurried backstage.

Despite the dozen or so adults milling about, I was quick to notice the chaos behind the curtains.

People were everywhere- mostly show contestants, I saw, but also their anxious parents.

A little girl ran past me, dressed in a cheer-leading outfit, and nearly tripped on my violin case.

"Oof! Mommy! This man's guitar thingy broke my foot!"

"It's a violin case," I corrected her.

She sneered at me and left, shedding a trail of rainbow glitter in her path.

A pack of teenage boys, probably my age, sat with their instruments a couple feet away from where I was standing. From what I could see, their band consisted of two guitarists, one drummer, one keyboardist and a lead singer. I wondered what inevitably punk-type song they were going to play.

Ignoring the other odd acts, I found a safe haven in a quiet corner to practice my own act.

All the while, I puzzled over where my girlfriend's whereabouts.