Prologue

picture of Chase on the side

Edited by Soumii

My little Princess.

Prologue

Walking into the dark room, I tripped over something hard, but continued to try to get to the screaming bundle as quick as I could.

"Shh, it's okay" I whispered as I pulled her into the crook of my arms "I'm here now, it'll be fine," I told her as I walked down the stairs quietly trying not to wake anyone else in the house. I walked into the large kitchen and headed over the other side to heat her a bottle. I rocked her in my arms as I waited, the screaming had died down to little whimpers "See I told you we would be okay" I smiled down at my princess. I juggled her around, trying to get the bottle out and hold in into place in her mouth. Shit, I nearly forgot to check it! I slid to the floor, and placed her gently onto my lap, as I squirted some of the warm milk on the back of my hand; it felt hot but not too hot? I can't remember what it should feel like? I groaned, and hit my head back on the kitchen cabinets. She started screaming again, and this time I couldn't calm her down. She was hungry and I didn't know what to do, I didn't want to give her the bottle if it was too hot for her.

"Sweetie, is that you?" I heard the padding of footsteps on the staircase.

"Yeah Mom, I'm in here" I replied tiredly, not even bothering to move. When Mom saw me, pity flashed across her face, disappearing just as quickly. I didn't like feeling this dependant on her.

" What's the matter?" She knelt down beside me, and just looked at the screaming baby in my arms.

"She's hungry, and I don't know if this is too hot for her" I held up her milk bottle, my eyes welling with tears. Mom took the bottle out of my hand, and squirted some onto the back of her hand.

"Its perfect, you're doing a great job" she smiled proudly at me, and handed the bottle back to me. I put the bottle into her mouth, and she started to suck on it greedily.

"It's so hard Mom" I whispered, my gaze fixated onto the kitchen floor tiles, hating that I had to admit it out loud.

"I know honey, but I'll always be here to help and the rest of the family. You're not alone, you're doing great, and we are all very proud of you. Look what you gave to this family, a beautiful baby girl!" She smiled at my baby "Have you thought of a name yet? It's been nearly 2 weeks now..." She trailed off. She's been asking me the same question for so long, but each time I would give the same answer.

"Not yet Mom" I sighed

"It's okay sweetie, it's a big thing giving a name to someone" Mom smiled at me, she had been so good these past months helping me get ready for the baby, much better than Alex's Mom who doesn't even want to see her granddaughter. It makes me angry thinking about it! Hate me, but not my baby! "Sweetie, she's finished" Mom pointed out.

"Oh, right" I took the now empty bottle out of her mouth, and started to get up from the floor. I threw the bottle into the sink, and pulled her back to my chest safely.

"You need to wind her." Mom reminded me softly, understanding that I keep forgetting all these important things, I threw a tea towel over my shoulder and then hold the baby up as I start rubbing her back softly and patting it lightly "you need to be more harder" Mom told me "want me to do it honey?" Mom asked

"No!" I said a little harshly, Mom's face sunk a little "I'm sorry Mom, it's just I need to learn and I want to be able to do it for her" I apologized.