Chapter three

Annabel

THINGS WEREN'T HAPPENING as I had planned. The hot sheriff seemed to want everything except leave me alone. Ever since we'd left his house, he had taken it upon himself to be my personal driver. I would have to wait with him until late afternoon, when the bar opened, before I could get my papers and, ultimately, my bike. Even when I showed him my car, which was parked outside of my motel room, Shane found another excuse to follow me everywhere. Including but not limited to my room, where I dressed properly—in the bathroom—over to meet the school principal.

I guess he liked how I dressed for my meeting, which was formally, because he gave me a smile of approval when I came out wearing a black skirt and white shirt that had 'professional' written all over them. For the finishing touches, I straightened my hair and put on glasses.

After he walked a circle around me, he whispered in my ear that he liked that naughty librarian look as he put his warm and electrifying hand on my back, making me shiver and almost sigh with pleasure. He smelled like a mixture of heaven and hell, he looked irresistible, and I had to admit that I hadn't experienced a man's hand on me in a long time. At least, not a man's hand that made me feel aroused and safe at the same time.

I expected him to take it further, like lowering his lips to my ear as I closed my eyes with desire. I'd thought maybe he would then pull me into his arms and kiss me, finally showing me what those dreamy lips tasted like. But, sadly, he didn't.

He asked, "Have you ever met the principal?"

"No."

"Well, James is a bit of a player, so be careful."

I was counting on his being a player or else I wouldn't be able to go after him and get the information about an original vampire. James was a vampire. Shane should know that, I figured. It was probably why he was warning me in the first place. He was getting oddly protective. Things were getting complicated.

How would I go on with my plan if Shane was in the equation? But, then again, was he really? Nothing had happened yet, and I wasn't exactly counting on anything to happen. However, the problem was that my body didn't agree with my rationality. If my body had its way, it would be touched by Shane and his lips, his hands, his everything, and drowned in his amazing scent. I was feeling a serious infatuation for the guy. It didn't help that he was the nicest person I'd met in a while. Also, he made me smile. It had been forever since I'd smiled so willingly and freely. And even longer since I'd found a guy interesting enough to spend time with.

"Okay," I said, accepting his warning as his hand moved up my back, making my skin burn like fire.

"We should have dinner tonight," he whispered alluringly as he leaned into my ear.

"Okay," I sighed.

Slowly, he touched his lips to my ear as his hands closed around my arms. Then he pulled me until my back was pressed against his chest. My whole body was trapped by a serious desire for him. I was shamelessly surrendering myself to his touch and his alluring voice in my ear. That was so―wait!

What was I saying? Dinner? A date? No. No dates. No men. No complications. I didn't want to create ties with anyone. No one should know me well enough to be put in danger. I couldn't give in so easily to a man. Even with that in mind, I had to wonder, why was breathing so difficult, and why was it a struggle to simply open my eyes? I was completely aroused by his touch. I was incapable of coherent speech, but I found that I didn't want to be coherent, or even rational, for that matter. Who cared about rationality when he was this close to me, smelling like heaven and promising me paradise with his sexy voice?

"Dinner at my place. I'll cook," he added, burying his head in the crook of my neck, inhaling as if he wanted to become inebriated by my scent, too. His tongue flicked out, licking my neck, making it impossible for me to answer. I don't think that it was even a question; more an affirmation on his part about what was going to happen.

"And now..." he spoke into my ear gently, tormenting me once more. By then, my whole body was awake with desire. I couldn't control myself. I didn't want to. I wanted to melt against his body and taste his lips. "Now I'm going to kiss you," he breathed and turned me to him, snaking my arms around his neck without any resistance on my part.

At least, I wasn't the only one burning up with need. I could feel his tense body and his desire growing inside his pants against my stomach. That made me wet. I felt my nipples getting hard as breathing was once again a challenge. I focused on closing my eyes, clenching my fingers on his back and waiting patiently to feel his mouth against mine. Tilting my head back, I offered my lips for the taking.

His lips finally touched mine and everything became quiet around me. Our lips brushing felt like silk falling over silk, and, for a few moments, I thought I was dreaming because of how sizzling our kisses were. It was as if more air was leaving my lungs than was coming in, making me feel wobbly and needy. A strong, deadly feeling of longing swept me off my feet. I had to hold on tighter to him because my legs lost the strength to support me.

His arms wrapped around my waist and prevented me from falling. To be this close to him, in his arms, lips moving against lips—it was like nothing I had ever experienced. He was gentle, and I couldn't stop myself from letting go, giving into the passion, and to him.

My whole body shivered and ached with desire when our mouths parted and our tongues tangled. If heaven existed, it surely had to be against his lips, feeling his kisses, and with his arms around me. His kisses were tender, sweet, breathtaking, and too good to be true! Time ceased to exist. Gravity was a vague idea in my mind. I couldn't let him go. I wanted more. I wanted his tongue and my tongue playing together, discovering and making me feel alive and blissful. I wanted our lips sealed together, his arms around me, pulling me tight against his solid and warm body. I wanted to melt and merge with him.They weren't normal kisses, they were mind-blowing experiences!

  ═════════ ೋღ♥ ღೋ ═════════════╗

Breath...  Now, first thoughts? Good or bad first kiss?