D.J. McPherson: Fairy Hunter

Chapter 1

Scary Fairies

Arianna shut the purple binder. "Laney, we are officially booked into the middle of next month."

We were in the library—business headquarters. Arianna and Cassidy were my foster sisters and best friends. Arianna handled the bookkeeping for me. She was my BFF so I trusted her to handle the money, make my schedule, and check my customers reviews. Cassidy was in charge of marketing. She made my posters and flyers.

I loved that my fairy exterminating business was booming, but unfortunately that meant evil fairies were running rampant. I visited kids' houses with my exclusive fairy exterminating spray, ridded their rooms of fairies, collected my money, and went on my way. Kids answered to the following ad:

Having Fairy Problems?

D.J. McPherson Can Help You Solve Them

She has a super secret formula that will rid your room of evil fairies.

$20.00 per fairy

E-mail D.J. at fairyexterm@gmail.com for a free consultation

We had been in the business for five months, and we'd earned a lot of money.

"Who would want to exterminate fairies?" you might ask. It's not what you think. I only exterminate evil fairies. Some people don't even know evil fairies exist, but they do.

I found my first evil fairy in the closet of my previous foster parents six months before. It had fangs and tried to bite me. After that, I began to see them, more and more. They would come into the bedroom where my   foster sisters and I slept and break things, bite or scratch us, or—worse—leave nightmares in our heads.

 By accident, I concocted a special potion that gets rid of evil fairies. Half a year ago, I made a homemade perfume for my teacher. Out of desperation I sprayed it on an evil fairy who was attacking me, and it melted into a black puddle on my bed. That was how the idea for DJ McPherson's exterminating service—started by yours truly, Delaney Joy McPherson—was born.

My formula works, every time.

Not just anyone can do this job. I'm special because I'm the only one who can see evil fairies. Well, I shouldn't say I'm the only one, but I'm the only person I know who can see evil fairies—besides a girl named Bex Carter.

"Laney, look at this one," Cassidy said, checking my e-mail.

We didn't look anything like real sisters. I was brown, with long black hair that had a special honey-brown stripe down the side. Ari was tan, with brown hair and eyes, and Cassidy had blond hair and ice-blue eyes. We had been together for over two years. They were my right-hand girls in this business. 

Cassidy's blue eyes were extra wide, so I knew this story had to be a doozy.

Dear DJ,

This fairy is ruining my life. She started off doing little things like breaking my toys and ripping up my homework, but last night was the worst. I woke up smelling smoke and hearing my parents banging on my door. I opened my eyes to see a fire burning in the middle of my room. The smoke detector began to go off.

 Luckily, Daddy was able to get me out. The fire department came and put out the fire, but there was lots of damage. That's not the part I'm really worried about. DJ, me and my family could have died last night. I need this fairy out of my life, once and for all.

Meghan

P.S. I would have called you sooner, but I've been trying to save up the $20.00.