Chapter one

Shane

SHE WAS A VISION in black leather pants and sexy white top. Her hair was long, straight, and jet black. Her big blue eyes were simply dazzling. She had a doll-like face with red pouty lips, and she moved with the grace and prowess of a feline. As she walked toward the counter and took a seat on a stool, all eyes followed her, both female and male. She gently brushed her hair away from her face and her skin gave off a gentle glow, looking softer than silk.

I couldn't help but feel drawn to her like a June bug to a porch light. Could she be the most beautiful thing I've ever seen? I'd lived for more than two mortal lives. Never in that time had I ever wanted to meet a woman as badly as I wanted to meet this one. It was as if she had a magnetic pull and the ability to make me forget about everything around me. All but her turned into a blur as my senses focused on her presence.

The pull I felt served as a reason to approach her, so I walked to the counter, with no control over my body, sat next to her, and flashed my sexiest smile.

God! Her scent was an addiction, completely intoxicating. She smelled like a bouquet of roses, orchids, poppies, Heaven, vanilla, and candy. What a feast for my senses! She was the personification of lust, temptation, and dreams come true. I couldn't believe it. I had long since lost faith in finding her, but there she was, after all this time: my soul-mate.

"I'm not interested," she replied to my smile before I'd even opened my mouth. "You're not my type," she added as an afterthought, completely catching me off guard.

What was that supposed to mean?

Stupidly, I asked, "And what is your type?" I'm not normally that pathetic with words, but I'm not often rejected, either. Come to think of it, I've never been rejected before.

The downside of your soul-mate being a human—she doesn't recognize you as hers.

She didn't answer my stupid question, thankfully. She just took a good look at me as if I was an annoyance, and then simply ignored me and called for a drink from the bartender. He had a smile on his face before looking over and giving me a mocking expression as if to call me a loser. Sam was probably gloating at the fact that I'd been rejected, but he didn't know I wasn't going to give up on her that easily. After all, she was my other half.

My eyes wandered down her figure, intrigued by her choice of clothes. She was so sexy my heart hurt. Yet, that was not the safest night for her to enter this place. There was a gang of dangerous predators lurking in a dark corner of the bar. Their eyes were riveted on her. I could sense their heads turning, smelling the air to catch her intoxicating scent.

She was too irresistible to be true, and I was completely dazzled by her. I couldn't even believe that she was there. It was like a dream, and if it truly was one, I dearly hoped I never awoke from it.

"Can I buy you a drink?" I asked, trying to make conversation.

Sparing me a look, she asked, "Could you just leave?" Her tone was soft but not impolite—far from it. She had a sexy, girly voice, and I swear I could detect a hint of concern. Like being far away from her was the best option for me.

The problem was that she was mine. At least, I would do anything to make her mine. And to leave her there to be a vampire's snack was out of the question. Actually, it was out of the question before I smelled her; now it was a death sentence to anyone who dared to touch her.

"Are you new in town?" I was curious and wouldn't be driven away anytime soon.

"Yes," she answered, throwing back more of her drink. I noticed that she was looking at the mirrors on the wall and clearly didn't want to talk.