First Part* (1/2)

FIRST PART

KARI

A big plop sound echoed around the room as this morning's mail appeared in front of my face.

"College letters are here!" my mother said; hand on her hips and looking down at me with a huge smile on her face. My heart jumped and I leaped off the table to rip open the first letter on top. It was from NYU my dream school. My heart leaped from my throat as I read the first words.

Dear, Miss Kari Valensha

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted... 

My eyes blurred over the rest and all I could think was that I just got accepted into the one school I've always dreamed about. My hand clamped over my mouth in shock, not only was I moving to New York, but I was also this close to finally living on my own.

"What is it? Did you get in?" my mother said, her voice filled with worry. I nodded my head slowly, and then I looked up into the dark green eyes of my mother.

"I got into NYU..." my voice sounded hoarse and I felt like I just screamed at the top of my lungs. My mom squealed and threw her arms around me.

"I knew it! I knew you would get in!" Her arms were still around me as she jumped up and down.

"Are you happy?" she whispered in my ear.

"Are you crazy? I'm ecstatic!" I said.

"Well you don't look so excited!" she pulled back to look at me.

"I am, I'm just shocked I didn't think I would even get in!"

"With your grades, I wouldn't be surprised if you got into Yale or Harvard!"

"Well, I don't know, I was just unsure."

"Don't be; just be glad you got in!" I closed my eyes and smiled and just for a moment I was a college girl not a stupid high school girl who had stupid guy problems. I hugged my mother for a while after that then headed up to my room. My cell phone was charging on the bedside so I checked it and saw that I had at least six missed called from Avery and two from josh. I called Avery first and waited while it rang.

"Kari!" she yelled into my ear.

"Ha-ha what happened?"

"Guess who got into NYU?" she squealed.

"You?" I giggled.

"Yes!!! Oh my gosh Kari if you get in we could share an apartment!" I don't know how I haven't gone deaf yet with Avery as my best friend because when she gets excited she really yells.

"Actually...I did get in." I said quietly. The other side suddenly got quiet.

"Hello?" I said after a minute.

"OH. MY. GOSH!!! Are you serious Kari! Do not play with me!" I pulled the phone away from my ear as she ranted on and on about how college is going to be so much fun and blah blah blah.

"Anyways, change of subject; are you missing school tomorrow with me to get our hair done? I had my head upside down since it was more comfortable but now I was feeling my blood rush down into my head. Sitting back up I laid back into the headboard.

"Yea I already asked my mom and she was like, "Of course! I remember when I went to prom..." and then I blocked her out because it got boring." She said giggling.

"I can imagine how boring..." I said smiling, Avery's moms had a habit of telling you all about her past and trust me once you've heard the same story a million times it gets really boring.