Day 15: Hurt

The content in this chapter talks about mature stuff. Make sure you are mature enough to read it.

Listen to the song on the side. It is my favourite song. The title of it is the title of this chapter and it is sung by Johnny Cash.

September 20, Friday

When we were done with eating the lunch, we went outside. Even though it was freezing outside, we both had cones with vanilla ice cream stuffed in them. It was our tradition every time we ate at this place. God, I missed him so much. What happened?

"Are you ever going to come back home?" I asked him as we sat in the car. I was trying very hard not to get any melted ice cream on his leather seats.

Out of the corner of my eyes, he shook his head. "Your mother and I," he took a deep breath, "we just don't get along as well as we used to." He turned the cone around in his hand and then took a bite out of it. "I wish I could be there, but we are going through some issues."

That is what they all say when parents do not want to tell the children that something is going on. "Daddy," the word slipped so easily from my mouth, it was usually just Dad, "I am not a little kid anymore, I am fourteen, I have periods, I have breasts, and I know about the depths of life. Just tell me what is going on between with you and mom."

"Logan," my dad warned, "I told you to drop it."

My hand found the button to roll down the window, and I threw the ice cream cone out the window. "What is going on?" I screamed at him. I was done being patient with him, and mom would not tell me anything. I wanted to know what was tearing my family apart.

A honk was made by the car when my dad laid his on the horn. I jumped and gripped the handle on the door, preparing to make a run for it if he decided to do anything idiotic.

"I cheated on your mom a year ago."

That was it. One sentence that stopped my heart from beating.

"Why?" They seemed so perfect for each other. That look I saw from my dad earlier today was the same look he gave my mom. The tale tell sign that you love someone. Something like this only happens in the movies, not in my own house.

He took another big breath, "You are too young to know why-"

I cut him off, "I am old enough."

"Sometimes, when you are away from your partner, you start to want what they can give you," great, he was going to go into it the practical way.

"Do not give me some fake ass-"

"Language."

"answer, I want the real answer." He opened up his mouth to answer but I interrupted him again. "And the next thing out of your mouth better not be because we were just not connecting anymore."