Margaret: Chapter Two

Hmmm…This is so nice. It’s been a long time since I last slept on something soft and squi—no, wait. This isn’t squishy. It’s…slimy?

     I tried to snuggle closer to my pillow. I love hugging pillows. Yes, it’s definitely slimy. Why would I be sleeping on something slimy?

     My senses gradually registered something else. This doesn’t feel anything like a bed. And I’m…wet?

     I snapped my eyes open. Uh-oh. I tried to look at my surroundings without moving. This isn’t my room. Oh hell.

     I’m fully awake now. The last thing I remember was…I’m at the beach. Then it stormed and I…fell off the rocky ledge.

     And then what?

     I took a deep breath, smelling the salty scent of the sea.

     Okay. So I’m not going to panic. At least I’m alive. I moved a little, trying to pretend that I just woke up and am still groggy from sleep. That would put anyone (if there’s anyone watching me) less on guard, thinking that I’m not going to pounce or anything.

     I slowly lifted my head.

     And came face to face with the most magnificent pair of lime green eyes.

     “Thank Neptune you’re finally awake! I thought you’re going to sleep forever,” my ‘bed’ told me with a grin.

      My eyes widened upon hearing his husky voice. Oh my god, he’s real. For a moment I thought he was some life-size toy or something.

     And then all of a sudden, I was aware of another thing: He’s naked. And I’m on top of him.

     “Aaaahhh!”

     Without even thinking, I slapped him, jumped off him, all the while shouting: “Pervert! You knew I was unconscious so you took advantage of me! Pervert! Rapist!”

     He covered his ears with his hands. I knew my voice could sound quite shrill and irritating if I put my mind to it. I kept on hitting him and making all kinds of noise simply because I wanted to hide the fact that I must have liked sleeping on him. He did say it took me a long while to wake up.

     What have I done?

     However, before I could move out of his reach, he grabbed hold of my arm, pulled me, and rolled over, putting my body between him and the sand. Then he covered my mouth with one of his large hands.

     “Hit me again and you’re going to regret it. You hear me?”

     I had no choice but to nod. His voice had sounded quite deadly.

     “Good. The only reason you woke up on top of me is because I thought it was uncomfortable for you to sleep on the sand. You got that?”

       I nodded again.

      “Now I’m going to release you but only if you promise me that you’ll listen to what I have to say. No attempts to escape. Is that clear?”

     I nodded. Again.

     He gave me a pointed look before he rolled off me.

     I felt something…scaly…sliding off my legs when he did that. Okay, now what was that?

     A splash of water suddenly hit my face.

     “Hey!” I shouted. And then I saw it.

     Oh my god.

     “Y-you have a tail!” I felt my energy slowly being drained from me.

     “Of course I have a tail. I’m a merman,” he said matter-of-factly.

     I gave him a hysterical laugh. “You are soooo not a merman! Those creatures aren’t real!” I shook my head. This is not happening to me.

     He grinned.

     I looked around, panic rising into my chest. Mermaids, mermen. They’re not real. They’re just myths, right?

     “Well, guess what, lady. We’re real. Not many people remember us but we are,” he told me with a shrug.

      He doesn’t look worried at all. He looked completely normal. Maybe except for the make-up. My eyes widened with realization. I grinned at him.

     “You’re an actor, aren’t you? This is some sort of TV show and that’s prosthetics, right?” I laughed again. This time, feeling more relaxed and at ease. “For a moment I thought you’re serious.”

     This time, his eyes widened.

     “What? I’m fully awake now so don’t try to fool me. I know you’re not a real merman. Where are the staff and crew for the show, anyway? Wait, the storm must have disrupted the shooting. So what are you still doing here?” I told him with confidence.

      He laughed. By god, he laughed.

     “You think this is a TV show?” He looked straight at me. “Tell me, what idiot would remain in his ‘costume’ during a storm?” He ended his sentence with an annoyed tone.

      I raised one of my eyebrows. “Well,” my mind raced with possibilities, “the storm began quite suddenly. Maybe you didn’t have time to remove your costume.”

     “That’s stupid,” he replied. “If this is prosthetics, I would have changed into something more ‘normal’ after the storm.” He crossed his arms. “And do you have any ideas how we ended up together?”

     “Uhmm…You kidnapped me?” I told him, completely unsure. The idea of him being a real merman doesn’t seem so absurd now.

     “For your information, when you fell off that ledge, I was the one who saved you.” He pointed at the left side of my forehead. “You were injured. You were bleeding and you lost consciousness. I brought you to safety, and then healed you.”

     “Now you can heal,” I told him, my voice full of sarcasm.

     “Pssh. I should have left you to die, then,” he muttered under his breath.

     “I heard that!” Then I looked at him, concerned. “Uhmm…Was I really dying?”

     “Yes. But even if I knew you’re an annoying brat, I wouldn’t have left you to die,” he said, his voice, serious.

     “Why?” He sounded like he needed me. Now that’s weird.

     “I have a favor to ask you.”