Lisa Mcmann

I looked down at my green sneakers. “So who’s first?” After the words escaped my mouth the room exploded into chaos. Someone I didn’t notice to be in the room grabbed my arm and started to pull. “Come now, don’t be foolish girl let’s go!” The voice that had a hold of me was clearly from a woman. She had a thick accent that I couldn’t place. French maybe? I brushed away my thoughts and began to run with her. The people who blocked the door now seem to be the ones keeping the true enemies away. 

                Once I was free of the doom impending building and running for down town the warehouses looming above me. I started to run down side streets and back alleys. I leaned up against a dumpster to catch my breath when I froze. I was alone. The woman who helped me free the building was no longer with me.

                Did she just help me so she could kill me herself? I spun around pressing my back firmly into the wall beside the dumpster. The air smelled of plastic and rats. My nose wrinkled in according to the smell. I heard distant footsteps and my ears pricked. Someone was coming, but whom?

                I looked around in the half lit alley for a weapon and spied a metal pipe wedged behind the dumpster. I reached down to grab it when the people rounded the corner into the ally where I was hiding. I got my grip around the pipe pulled and found it to be stuck. If I pulled it hard enough to get it unstuck they would hear and come over.

                I weighed my options and was about to rip the pipe free and brain them when they retreated. I heard the footsteps leave and I pulled the pipe free. I held it to my body and began to follow them. I turned the corner after them and someone was in my way. That someone I might add was huge!

                I let out a scream, or well I tried to scream. The person had me spun around and pinned to the wall. My back pressed up against him. My hat being squished down into my face. I could feel my long auburn hair spilling onto my face. Great I left death just to meet it again in the form of rape and murder. I mumbled my plea and he pressed harder.

                I was starting to not be able to breathe when I heard a woman’s voice. One with a slight French accent. “Let her go this is the girl.” The huge male pressure was moved off me and I fell to my knees the pipe that was digging into my stomach dropped to the ground with a metal clank. I felt the air slam into my lungs burning.

Ouch that hurt was all I was all I was thinking. Then I felt long fingers attached to huge hands pull me to my feet. I looked up at him and I realized I couldn’t see his face it was hidden under his hood. I pushed it up and screamed. His face was burned half off. Before I fainted I saw his hand brush over his face and saw it was just a mask. The person under the mask was beautiful.

He had dark brown hair and green eyes and a worried expression. He had one arm around me and all I felt was his touch. I reached up to touch his face and I was lost to the darkness. I never felt him swing me up into his arms. Nor did feel us get into a car and start to drive away.

I never felt us arrive to hotel or have the woman with the accent explain I had one too many drinks. I never felt him lay me in a bed or knew he sat next to me the entire night and half the day.. I dreamed of his face burned. When he tried to take off the mask he realized he couldn’t it was his real face.

I woke up startled the room I was in was dark and cold. I rolled over. I could tell there was a window. And sitting in the shadow of that window was a man I screamed. It never made it all the way out he was on the bed then hand clamped over my mouth. “Must you scream every time you see me?” he asked.

I pulled his hand away from my mouth and he rolled over to turn on a lamp. When he rolled back towards me I was glaring and he looked confused. “Must you scare me every time I see you?” I said in return and this time I got the glare. It seemed to change his face. he looked older now in the half light.

Oh no please don’t let me crushing on a old dude. I scooted away from him. he wrinkled his forehead like he could sense my thoughts. He got out of the bed and went to the door. “Adeline please come in here and take care of this -” he broke off for a second and looked at me the back at the door. “-girl.” He finished and I felt my face heat. So he thought I was a girl.

I looked down at my relatively flat chest and murmured “Asshole.”  In his direction he either didn’t hear it or chose to ignore it. He shut the door and sat back down in his watchers chair. He put his fore arms in the rest and laced his fingers over his flat stomach. He was good looking.

I rolled over onto my stomach just as the door opened. It opened. I heard the boy sigh and the door shut. I heard him get up and come lay down next to me. “Danielle we want to help you.” I shrugged. Then I felt his hand wrap around one of my arms and he flipped me over.

“My name is Eric Cloud. I am here to help you.” He said. His face was really close and I could see is green eyes. They were lovely. I sighed and looked away. “My name is Danielle Collins and I will accept your help.” I dropped my voice a lower octave “But only your help.” Then I laced my fingers around his neck and pulled him on top of me. I kissed him and he balanced himself on top of me and kissed back.

I sat straight up in bed. Hot and sweating in the cold room. He wasn’t in the bed with me he was in his watchers chair looking at me with mild interest. I was only dreaming. I shook my head and looked over at him.

“Get that smirk off your face Eric Cloud and go get Adeline.” He rocked back in his chair shocked. He stood up and walked to the door. He opened it nodded and shut it. He was back in his seat before it opened.

”So you have had a dream I see.” The woman sat down on the foot of the bed. She was in a power suit. Long white hair although she didn’t loot that old. I just glared at her. “How are you suppose to help and who were those people and what do they want from me?” she looked at Eric than back to me. I saw him frown and shake his hear. The woman with white hair looked back at me. “We aren’t quite sure.” I fell back into the pillows. My eyes burned. People are out to get me they want to kill me and they don’t know why.

I felt the woman get off the bed and walk out. Eric took her place on the bed and I fell asleep. I dreamed of a little boy who I met when I was little. He never told me his name then but he had beautiful green eyes. He claimed we would be together again someday. It will take me a while to realize that boy was Eric. I felt Eric lay down next to me and then nothing. Dreamless bliss.