Chapter One

• Dedicated to Rose, for being the best friend anyone could wish for.

Charlotte's P.O.V

“Charlie, it’s time to get up!” Bea sang as she danced around our room.

“What?” I groggily opened my eyes, blinking as Bea filled the room with light, the chandelier wobbling.

“You don’t want to miss today!”

“Why not! We don’t have to be there for two hours!” I argued, my brain still not functioning right.

“Just get up, we’re going on the horses, dummy! That takes-“

“Yes! I know! One hour!” I grumbled into my pillow.

“So! Get up!” Bea pulled the duvet off me and threw it onto the floor with a flourish, “If you don’t get up, I’m not putting it back.”

Instantly, I jumped off the dreaded bed, crossed my arms over my chest and grinned smugly at her, telling by the look on her face she’d just been bluffing.

Horror crossed her face as she took in my bed. Dramatically, she pinched her nose and grabbed the end of the duvet and then proceed to pick up the rest of my bedding and dump it in the laundry. 

"You better make my bed when we get home." I mumbled, walking towards my closet.

"Wear something nice, Charlie!" Bea called before whirling out of our room.

I looked at the 3d martial arts top that was in my hands and shrugged. It and my jeans would have to do.

I swung my bag on over my shoulder and headed out the door. After a quick, forced breakfast, I found Bea in the stables, already saddling up her horse, Rocket.

Shadow stuck his head out of his stall and nickered at me, stretching out his neck, obviously hoping for a treat.

"Hi boy." I cooed at him, softly running my hand down his black flank, showing my empty hands and cursing my judgement.

I lead him out of his stall by his much hated halter rope, then began to saddle him up, resenting the thing nearly as much as he did.

"Race ya!" I called over my shoulder to Bea, who was still struggling with Rocket's bit.

Bea pouted at me then finally got Rocket's bit in, which was followed with a triumphant smile, even though Shadow was a million times faster than Rocket.

"'Kay." Bea swung herself up on Rocket, smirking at me as I took of at full speed towards the field, the long way.

With the wind flying through my hair, I felt free, leaving all my problems at the stables, not caring about anything but this wonderful feeling.

After an hour and fifteen minutes, a very sweaty Shadow trotted into the school's stables. After dismounting and brushing him down, I chucked Shadow's blanket over him and walked into the sunshine. I huffed when I saw the time; only 7:15 and Bea and Rocket still hadn't arrived yet, even though they took the short-cut.

Finally, I saw Rocket, plodding up to the gates, with Bea being her usual dramatic self-gasping and lying flat on her trusty mares back.

Rolling my eyes, I ran over to Rocket and my 'fainted' sister and snatched the reins off her. Still giving her the silent treatment, I led Rocket into the stables after she had dismounted.

After doing the same to Rocket as I did to Shadow, I greeted the other horses. There was Milky Way, a horse that was a deep black with her hindquarters dotted with grey, who really disliked me, Shadow in the next stall, then Rocket, then a beautiful, pure white mare, which stood tall, and seemed to smirk at me, standing there with my mouth wide open, taking in its beauty. 

I knew it was wrong, but it seemed as though I couldn't control my hand as I reached out and stroked its flank, which was unbearably soft.

We gazed into each other's eyes for what seemed like forever, never breaking contact. Outside, the bell rang and finally I tore my gaze from the black-eyed horse, picked up my bag and ran out into the sunlight once again.

I tore down the halls, my chucks squeaking on the shiny, hard plastic which the school called 'Anique Marble'. I snorted as I thought of my principal in his bursting suits, greeting newcomers snottily.

I threw open the classroom door and the whole class went silent, then broke into chatter again, obviously expecting someone else than the weird girl who never talks to anyone apart from her popular sister.

"Take your seat, Charlotte." I cringed as Mrs Goldwater said my full name, wishing that one day she'd call me Charlie.

"Yes Miss." I flopped down in my seat, crossed my arms over my chest and started to day dream.

Allan's P.O.V

I walked into the class, resenting the fat lump in front of me and my uptight brother beside me, wishing I was with Phantom instead of here.

 As we walked in, everyone sat up in their seats, fiddling with their hair or clothes, except for a beautiful girl, with black hair and violet eyes who was in a rundown purple top and jeans, staring out the window.

My breath caught when I saw her, knowing from the pictures that she was the one, the one the Queen wanted. I quickly lifted my gaze from her to the fat lump and our teacher, who were having a whispered shouting match.

"All good boys!" the pricipal waddled out the door, leaving me wondering how he could possibly get through it.

"Allan, you sit next to Charlotte-" the girl cringed in mid-day dream "Luka, you sit next to Andrew and Bea." 

Thankful we didn't have to go through the usual routine of introducing ourselfs, Luka and I made our way down to our seats.

I got out my books and flopped down next to Charlotte and nudged her gentllywith one shoulder.

"Hey, Charlotte." I whispered as she turned towards me.

I opened my mouth to speak, but her eyes widened in horror before I could get a word in.

"I know you." she whispered, mouth open.