Five. (Finale)

"Are you alright?"

December's words didn't surprise her. She knew that she was a compassionate person, especially since she knew what was going on in Cori's life. And it was the exact reason why she was hiding in the library, bawling her eyes out.

Cori looked up, her eyes narrowing when she saw who it was that was talking to her. She let out a humorless laugh.

"I bet you're loving seeing me like this," Cori said bitterly. Cori thought that December was going to kick her when she was down, and she thought December was reveling in the fact that she was in pain. But that wasn't true at all.

December slid into the seat next to Cori.

"No, I don't," She answered honestly.

It was hard seeing someone in so much pain. Even though Cori expressed her hurt in a different way than December didn't mean that she deserved it. When Cori didn't say anything, she went on.

"My parents fight, too."

Cori's head snapped up.

"How did you know that?" She asked, her voice wobbly. She had stopped crying since December had came into view, but it was obvious she wasn't far from starting again.

"It doesn't matter how I know," She responded, shaking her head. "Just know that I know what it feels like."

Cori didn't respond, but instead stared at December as if trying to see through her. Cori was not used to someone being nice and genuinely caring. Cori was used to the fake, shallowness that came along with being a Queen Bee.

"You think we're worlds apart," December began. "But we're not. We're both only children, living in empty houses that are entirely too lonely because our parents don't pay attention to us."

Cori's chest heaved as she attempted to hold back more tears.

"You're a strong person, Cori. You're much stronger than you should have to be at such a young age."

And with out another word, Cori started sobbing. December scooted the chair closer, and Cori put her head on December's shoulder. They didn't say another word for a while, and they didn't have to. A mutual understanding clicked into place.

They were both hurting, confused girls.

December rubbed Cori's back, listening while Cori told her about how happy her family used to be. Her father started working more and more, and one afternoon when Cori came home from school early, he walked in on her Dad and his mistress making out in the kitchen. She tried to tell her mother, but her mother already knew.

And was putting up with it.

The pair of them stayed past the bell ringing, and halfway into third period. When Cori was finally all cried and all talked out, December helped her fix her make up and they started to part ways.

"Hey, December?"

Cori's voice called after her when she had just pushed the library's door into the hallway open. She turned around, and found Cori smiling a little at her.

"Thanks."

December smiled back and nodded before continuing on her way to her third period class. It passed with out a hitch, and she was glad when she made her way to lunch with Jenna.

She had just entered the lunch room when Nova Jones, another one of Cori's friends, said something rude to her under her breath.

"Back off," Cori said quickly.

"Excuse me?" Nova asked, raising her eyebrows.

"The girl isn't so bad," Cori said. "Just leave her alone."