If Only I Knew (A Fremione one-shot)

"If Only I Knew."

A Fremione one-shot

~Hermione

I was laying on my bed in Gryffindor Tower, my hands on my chest as I stared at the murky white ceiling, thinking over everything.

The war was finally over. Voldemort had fallen. He was dead. Only a few hours ago, Hogwarts was at war, people dying, people fighting for love and for a new world of peace.

Even though Voldemort was gone, the world still would never be the same. People had died in the war and families would never be the same. Especially the Weasleys. They had lost a son, a brother, a twin. Everyone had lost someone in the war. Fred Weasley was one of them.

In the whole time I knew Fred, I would always tell him off and yell at him; telling him to grow up. Now, I regretted it, more than anything. If someone had told me 7 years ago, Fred Weasley would die, I wouldn't have believed that someone like him could die and even if I did believe them, I would have done everything to put a stop to it.

Because of Fred's death, I let go of Ron. He was grieving over his dead brother and I couldn't let him experience the loss of a brother while dating me.

In less than 24 hours ago, Ron and I had shared our first kiss, for the first time in seven years. Seven years of secret love for each other. But, in that time, he had lost someone so special, so dear to him, that I had to let him go.

Tears burned at the back of my eyes, and they began to fall down my cheeks as I thought about him. Not Ron but Fred; His mischievous grin, his pranks, the endless laughs, his love for me as a sister.

"Hermione," a voice echoed softly through the room and I jumped.

Quickly, I sat up and looked around my old dormitory. That voice, it sounded so familiar, like I had heard it a million times before.

With my hand, I wiped the tears from my cheeks and looked around the empty room but it was only me. Everyone else was in the Great Hall, assisting the injured, mourning over the dead.

Sighing, I laid back down on my bed and closed my eyes. I hadn't slept for over 48 hours and I could now feel the effects of sleepiness starting to overwhelm me.

"Hermione."

My eyes flew open as the voice sounded through the room again. I jumped up and slid out of bed. Cautiously, I bent under my bed, peering underneath to see if someone was playing a joke on me.

But, underneath, there was only dust. I furrowed my eyebrows and bent back up and I nearly screamed at what I saw.

In the middle of the room, stood Fred Weasley, in the clothes he had died in, smiling at me.

"F-Fr-Fred?" I gasped, when I had finally found my voice.

I took in his appearance. He wasn't a ghost, he looked just like he did before the war and he still had his grin planted on his face.

"Hermione," he murmured, smiling at me.

"B-But, you're d-dead?" I stammered, rubbing my eyes to see if I was hallucinating. But I wasn't.

This was unbelieveable. Fred was gone, forever. Rookwood had killed him, I saw it. But, how was he still here?

Fred chuckled. "You're right, I am dead. But I needed to see you before I part from this world," He said quietly, taking a step towards me, looking at me with his chocolate, brown eyes.

"And wh-why did you need t-to see m-me?" I asked shakily.

Because I needed to tell you the truth. I've wanted to tell yyou for years but I though you wouldn't return it. After this was all over, I was going to tell you," he said slowly.

"What?" I gasped out and he stepped even closer.

"Hermione Jean Granger. What I've wanted to tell you for however long is, I love you," Fred said quietly and I stopped breathing as my heart skipped a beat. "I've always loved you. You're smart, beautiful and all I've ever felt for you is love."

Fred Gideon Weasley loved me. It all made sense. Memories flashed through my mind; the secret smiles he shot me, the way his eyes sparkled when he looked at me, the way he hugged me tightly... But he was gone... Forever.

"If only I knew," I whispered, realising he was telling the truth as I looked into his eyes.

Fred nodded and stepped closer to me until he was inches away from me. He raised his hand and wiped my wet face with his fingers. He held my cheek with his hand and rubbed it with his thumb.

"There is something I want to do before I go," he murmured, his breath mingling with my own. "Trust me."

I nodded and before my brain could register what was happening, Fred's lips connected with my own.

Immediately. time stopped around us. It felt perfect, like we were meant to do this. His lips were soft and matched perfectly with my own. The moment was so blissful and sweet that it felt better than the kiss I shared with Ron. 

After a few moments, Fred's hand left my cheek as he stepped back. My lips were tingling as I looked into his eyes and whispered, "I love you too Fred Weasley."

Fred smiled and pushed his hair out of his eyes. "And now I have to go," Fred said quietly, looking into my own eyes.

"F-Fred, don't go!" I cried, tears forming in my eyes.

"Goodbye Hermione, don't ever forget me. I will always love you," he murmured as he began to fade away.

I stood in shock, wanting to stop him from leaving as I watched as Fred turned and faded away into nothingness as he stepped in the light, leaving me alone in this world.

I stared deep into the spot he disappeared in, silently calling for Fred to come back. For him to hold me again, to kiss me, to love me.

But he didn't.

And he never will.

*****