Chapter Nine

It’s the day after the surgery and I have nurse in here checking on my leg. I have stitches going down my leg. “Sit up so you could take your medicine.” She says sweetly smiling at me. I sit up and take the pills out of the plastic cup and swallow it with the cup of water.

            “How long is it going to hurt for?” I ask.

            “Well you just took your medicine, so the meds should kick in soon, but overall you’ll feel the pain for the next day or two, depends how well the surgery went with your leg.” She tells me. My father walks in with a shopping bag in his hand and places it on the rolling desk and set it next to my lap.

            “Eat up, your mom made your favorite.” He says taking the mansef out the bag.

            “I’m not hungry.” I say putting my head on the pillow. “I just want to go home.” I say frustrated with being trapped in this bed.

            “Sara, you heard the doctor, you won’t be able to go home for a week, so eat before you starve. I’m not going to take this from you.”

            “I said I’m not hungry.” I say closing my eyes wanting to sleep for the whole week.

            “Sara, I said eat.” My father yells at me.

            “I said I’m not hungry. Just leave me the hell alone.” I yell back.

            A few minutes of me ignoring him he finally walks out the room and I slide the table away from me and laying down. As I’m about to fall asleep someone opens the door. “Sara.” I hear Jihad’s voice.

            “Leave me alone.” I say to through my tears. “Just go. Please.” I say desperately. When he doesn’t leave I turn to look at him and I’m surprise to see both Kevin and Troy standing there with him, both of them holding gift bags. “What?” I say wiping my tears.

            “Why aren’t you eating?” He asks concerned. He sits on the chair closest to the bed and looks me in the eye. “I know you’re in pain and you don’t want to be here, but if you don’t eat, than the doctors will make you stay longer until you do eat, so just get it over with.” He says kindly.

            “I can’t. I just can’t. Okay?” I say annoyed with him.

            “Yes you can.” He says. “Just try to okay? Take it slowly. Nobody’s forcing it down your throat but you have to eat something, it’s five and you still didn’t eat anything yet.” He says.

            “Yes I did, I did and I threw it up. I can’t eat anything. Don’t you get it?”

            “You threw it up because you wanted to.”

            “You really think I wanted to throw up? I can’t even believe you’re saying this to me. Just leave me the hell alone. Just go.” I lie back down and ignore whatever he’s saying and he gives up just like my father did.

            I fall back asleep and a nurse comes in and takes my blood pressure and my temperature. I open my eyes slowly and realize it’s already night time. I see Jihad in one of the chairs sleeping, low snores coming out of his mouth. “I got you a late snack, your stomach will be able to handle it. I heard your stomach couldn’t handle the food your mom got.” She says handing me a little tub of Jell-O. I take it and take my time eating it. “I have to replace your IV since it’s empty.” She says and I hold out my arm and look away. I squeeze my eyes shut while she replaces it. I absolutely hate needles and if I look at them I’ll throw up. “All done.” She says a few seconds later and I open my eyes. My father walks in with a smile on his face.