Once in a Million Years (Klaroline fanfic)

Author's Note: Short chapter, I know, but it's the

leading-up one, with the bit of explaining. Hopefully the next ones will be longer.

(Title picture from fanpop.com)

-Klaus's Diary Entry-

*June 29, 1832*

I wanted to briefly feel something. I wanted to feel human. Yet I cannot control my emotions any more. I let myself feel, now I cannot stop myself from feeling.

I watched a hanging at dawn. It was a young boy, no older than twelve, who was trialed for begging a respectable woman for money or food, either one as I cannot remember.

I watched him die and felt pain and sadness, something I have not felt since forever. I cannot remember the last time I felt an emotion.

People around me were cheering at the death of a street urchin, yet I was tearing up at the sight of his lifeless, starved body.

I tried to turn them off, most unsuccessfully. I wonder what this means. Do I have to suffer eternity torn with human emotions?

I am worried- yet another emotion- that I may fall in love with a woman. What then? They would age and die as I lived on, not changing at all. I would destroy myself if I did.

I have not opened my family's coffins for many, many years. I cannot now either, as I may want to take the stakes out and revive them with my new-found emotions.

I have decided to travel and my next destination is Mystic Falls. I have heard that there are some interesting happenings going on and I am encouraged by my curiosity to find out what.

*July 21, 1832*

The long journey is finally over. It is painful to walk after so many days riding bareback.

I am beginning to become accustomed to feeling things as I did when I was human, yet many emotions are new and confusing.

-----------------------------------------------

I am not frequently writing and I may not write for many, many years, possibly even decades.

*August 31, 1869*

There had been a riot in the town centre. The people of Mystic Falls are spiking the water supply with vervain and if you react to the water or not drink it, they take you as a vampire and put you in the church.

They are planning to burn the church after they have found the vampires. I can drink the water, luckily, because for the past 200 years, I have been spiking all my drinks with vervain.

It still burns to drink the water but not as much as it would have otherwise.

-----------------------------------------------

I am staying at the Salvatore Boarding House and have taken a particular liking to Stefan Salvatore.

As it turns out, Stefan and his brother, Damon, are vampires. They were turned by the beautiful Katherine Pierce, otherwise known as Katerina Petrova.

*January 21*

I do not know the year, only that it has been more than a century since I have written.

I have done exactly as I feared. I have fallen in love. Although the woman is a vampire. Her name is Caroline Forbes. And her Mum's the vampire-hating sheriff.