:Inject Me Sweetly: Chapter Thirty-Nine

Start from the beginning

"I'm fine," I told him, trying to give him a reassuring smile. For some reason, I was finding it difficult to lift my lips.

Fiona frowned at me, her eyes starting to glisten. "It's soon isn't it?"

"Today's my birthday," I whispered, now finally managing to smile.

"Happy birthday," she wished, her voice sounding shaky.

I swallowed, my heart clenching painfully. I wasn't sure whether it was due to my feelings or my body. It was hard to tell these days. Tears threatened my eyes, but I somehow held them back. I didn't want to show how weak I was in front of Fiona. It would only make her sadder. "Thanks," I finally responded.

"Emily, are you sure you want to go through with this? I know you have something against becoming a vampire, but I don't want you to go! Are you sure you've thought this all the way through?" she rushed, her eyes wide and imploring. "Please, I'm begging you to reconsider-"

"Fiona," Vincent snapped, cutting her off. "Enough."

She turned her green eyes to him. "Don't you agree, Vincent? You want her to stay, don't you? Tell me I'm right!"

He glared at her. "Shut up or leave right now."

"Emily," she tried again, turning back to me.

A lump formed at the back of my throat, but I swallowed it. I couldn't change my mind now. I'd been so resolute up until now! If I chickened out I'd regret it later! No matter what anyone else wanted, I needed to keep to my word. It wouldn't be fair if I lived while other humans just like myself would have to die.

I grimaced as a horrible pain shot right through my heart. My hand went up to my chest, squeezing my shirt. "Ugh..."

"Get out," Vincent demanded, moving toward Fiona. "You're stressing her out."

"I'm sorry!" she apologized, holding up a hand. "I won't say anything else!"

He scowled at her. "Fiona."

"It's fine," I assured him, reaching out to grab his hand. "I'm fine. She can stay. I want her to stay."

"Fine," he grumbled.

"Oh! I forgot to tell you!" Fiona suddenly chirped. "I saw your brother the other day! It turns out he got into Harvard!"

My eyes widened. "Seriously? I never knew he was that smart!"

"I guess he is! Leah's going with him too!"

Now I was really surprised. How had she managed that? "Wow, a lot of things can happen when you're gone for six months..."

"I'll say," she agreed. "Just the other day I was at Sebastian's grave and this little girl was there too. You know what she said to me? I want to marry him. It was too cute! I didn't know even little girls fancied him! It's impressive how much he affected everyone."

I laughed. "Hmm, he even wooed the little girls? That could be taken a creepy way."

Vincent rolled his eyes at me. "Sebastian wasn't like that."

"Duh," I responded, sticking out my tongue.

He sighed. "Funny how you're so energetic now that we're talking about him. It makes me wonder if you secretly loved him all along."

"I did," I deadpanned.

"You... don't joke about that," he growled softly.

Fiona giggled. "Jealous, Vivi?"

He let his head drop backwards. "You still insist on calling me Vivi? Even though Joel's in jail, he still does it and it still annoying the crap out of me."