Chapter 31

Niall's POV

Samantha and I have been in the hospital for about four days now. I guess you can say I'm almost healed. My ribs aren't that sore anymore and the cut on my forehead is pretty much gone. The only thing I have left to heal is the cast on my arm. Because my arm wasn't badly broken, the doctor said I can get my cast off in about a week. Samantha on the other hand isn't so lucky. She says her ribs are still sore so she has to sleep on her back. I also have to occasionally help her sit up when she's in pain. I don't mind though. As for the stitches in her leg, since her stitches aren't the dissolving kind, the doctor said she has to get them taken out tomorrow.

Sadly, Samantha's physical health is better than her mental health. The only way she remembers something is if we remind her of it or if she asks me. I guess it's a good thing she asks me because it means she trusts me. It's baby steps but it's steps toward getting our relationship back. It's truly heartbreaking to see her not remember things. I just want my princess back.

Currently, me and Samantha are getting ready to go to bed. The doctor said we are allowed to go home in two days. They just need to run some test to make sure we are okay. I was really happy when they told me that because I'm not a big fan of being in hospitals. Neither is Samantha.

Earlier today, Samantha started to talk to me about my parents. She was curious to why I haven't talked to them and we've been in the hospital for four days. Honestly, I didn't really think to do it. I know that sounds bad but I have been so concentrated on helping Samantha get back to normal that I guess I forgot to call them.

Samantha said goodnight to me and crawled into her bed, closing her eyes and falling asleep. I crawled into my own bed and grabbed my phone. I started to think about what me and Samantha talked about today. It is pretty rude of me not to call my parents after everything has happened. I looked at the time and decided to call them. It is 11:00pm here but it's only 9:00 in Ireland. I dialled my home phone number and someone quickly picked up.

"Hello?" They asked. It was my mum. "Hi mum." I replied.

"Niall?" She asked. Her voice sounded like a mixture of emotions. She sounded happy, sad, and scared.

"Yeah it's me." I replied. I heard her sigh on the other side. "Oh my gosh, Niall! It's really you. It's so good to hear your voice." She a paused. For some reason, I felt like I was going to get yelled at but I was wrong. "Are you okay? Is my baby boy okay?" She asked. I could tell by the sound of her voice that's she was trying not to cry.

"Yes I'm alright." I replied.

"Then why haven't you phoned me? It's been four days since we heard you were in the hospital. We didn't even know if you were still alive." She paused, taking a deep breath. "All we heard was that you and Samantha got into a car accident." I instantly felt bad. I now regret not phoning them.

"I know mum and I'm really sorry. I've just been dealing with Samantha and her, well her conditions." I replied. I could hear her let out another sigh.

"How is she? Samantha, is she okay?" She asked, more calm.

"Physically she is doing good but mentally," I paused. "She isn't doing too good."

"What do you mean?" She questioned.

"Well when we got into the car accident, she hit her head pretty hard, causing her to have some brain damage." I paused. "She doesn't remember anything except the things we tell her."

"Oh honey, I'm so sorry to hear that. Will she regain her memory?" She asked.

"Yeah but we don't know when. It could be tomorrow, next month, or even next year." I said. I could feel like I was about to cry. I don't want my mum to know I'm crying so I tried to quickly end the phone call.