Marriage

Samaar's POV

I walked up the stairs after eating dinner hoping to get some sleep for my final exam tomorrow afternoon. If school was an option... I'd still go because it was awkward being at this house. I should have been used to it but it's not that easy realizing that you're living under the same roof as your soon-to-be lawfully, runaway, future husband. Just when I got to bed, I saw Aakifah sleeping like a kid on the next bed. She was finally finished her exams from that day onward. Meaning, she was no longer a high school student with loads of stress on her head. I walked back to the door, turned off the lights and just when I was about to close the door I heard a crash downstairs. It sounded like glass crashing to the ground. Right after that I heard Uncle screaming downstairs. I quietly walked down the stairs and stood outside the doorway. No one saw me there surprisingly. I heard Sheath talking quietly.

"I'm sorry dad. But it's impossible. I already made my decision and since I'm now an adult, I want to live like one," Sheath said to his father calmly. I watched as Uncle grew angrier by the second. It was scary... Something bad might happen...

After yelling at Sheath some more, Sheath finally broke out and said what he wanted to say all along.

"I told you I'm not marrying her! What's wrong with you guys? You're supposed to let me have a choice too but no, that's impossible right?! Everything always ends up going your way!" His voice sounded pained... I peeked into the room just in time to see Uncle slap Sheath across the face. "I'm not marrying her!" He repeated even after getting slapped. Auntie tried stopping Uncle from dealing with Sheath any further. But Uncle didn't budge and neither did his son. 

"Why are you doing this now?!" Uncle asked Sheath. "You want to go abroad and stop your future wedding! What's the purpose?" Uncle asked confused. Unexpectedly... I unconsciously came into the room, standing next to Sheath. What was I doing...? I still couldn't figure it out. 

"Um... Uncle...?" I honestly didn't know what was happening but I had to do something. I didn't dare look at Sheath.

"Samaar... I don't think it's the right time to talk," Uncle said, still looking at Sheath.

"Uncle, will you please let me talk to Sheath. It'll only take a couple of minutes. I promise," I said, squeezing my own fingers. 

Uncle looked at me sadly, then nodded his head. My parents were behind me. They were a little shocked, but they smiled when I looked their way grinning. Sometimes I would always think I'm doing something wrong, but in the end I know what ever happens, happens for a reason. 

 Sheath came with me into the hallway. I looked over his shoulder and I saw Auntie looking at us. I smiled, assuring her there was nothing to worry about. And then... she finally left unable to return a smile. 

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I whispered sharply, looking at his bruised arm. He probably got bruised earlier on... 

"I don't want to... live my life the way they planned it. I'm not joining in on the family business just because I have no choice and I'm not going to marry you just because they said so," He said calmly while looking straight behind me. 

"Then what? You'd marry me if they hadn't accepted me?" I asked in the spur of the moment. I just realized what I just said, then gave a  pathetic laugh, "Actually, don't answer that," I said. I didn't even bother looking up afraid of the face he was making. He'd probably laugh at me. I mean, he repeated it over so many times that he didn't want to marry me. So it's obvious that he didn't like me that way... or if he even liked me at all. "Anyways, you're the idiot, not me," I said out loud with anger, looking up at him. And for the first time in my life, I saw Sheath looking down and away from me with a weird expression. It almost seemed like there was a piece of him...floating away. "A real idiot..." I waited until he looked up and when he did he asked, "What?"

"If you weren't this selfish, we wouldn't be in this mess at all," I began whispering again quietly and calmly. "If you leave the house leaving me here alone, do you think I'd be able to survive? Couldn't you at least wait until I graduated? I could probably be out of this house by then and I wouldn't have to stick around to hear your parents and mine cry for having an ill mannered son and a runaway groom," I paused, taking a break, breathing in and out. My eyes slid from Sheath to the floor and that's when I realized not a cell in his body ever liked me... even a bit. But why am I still hoping to get married to him? "If-if you want to leave, then leave. But don't break it off until next year," I said, not knowing what face I was making that made him crack an awkward smile. 

"I'll take you up on your offer," He said, sliding down the wall. He put his head in his hands and looked up. He was smiling, and I knew it was time to give up on him but... I don't think I can. It's not like I'm trying. 

A few seconds later, we were back in the room, and I was surprised to see my parents sitting on the couch. Sarah's birthday was coming up soon and she was turning one, but she remained the famous cry baby of the house. My parents were already tired of her cries, and that's why I felt sorry for what was about to happen. Well... actually... I didn't know what was going on either because Sheath was staring at his dad with a smile. Uncle's guilt covered his face, and soon Uncle was apologizing to Sheath. 

"I take back what I said. I want to marry her..." Sheath said, looking straight at his father, "But I'm sorry... I don't have any intention of taking over your company." He said confidently. "Please let me go to America so I can become more independent. I don't want to get married if I can't learn how to live on my own. And I want to study even more so I can someday know what I want to do..." 

Uncle was confused, but he understood very clearly what Sheath was suggesting.

"On one condition will I let all of this happen..." Uncle said. What condition? "Marry her before you leave." Now I was the confused one. I looked over to my parents and all they did was stare at Sheath. Hello people, when did you guys decide this??

Sheath nodded without hesitation. Are these people insane??  

Starting from the next day, the preparations began, and I knew there was no point in being happy because I for one haven't been able to figure out if this was fake or not. Every time Sheath would attempt to talk to me, Auntie would keep us apart and so... the summer break begins.