Chapter 2 - The College Drop Off

Max

When I was eleven, she went away to college. Her time at Community College was over, and she was moving on to bigger and brighter things. I was happy for her, but sad for me. Who would I obsess over now?

Sure, I could friend her on Facebook and keep up with her there, but did I really want to? I really wasn't up for seeing pictures of the guys she'd dated plastered all over her page. It would have broken my little heart. In my infinite eleven-year-old wisdom, I thought it best to cut all ties with her.

I wanted to run over to the Spencer's house to see her off, but I hadn't been invited, so I sat on my Power Rangers bedspread that covered my bed and tried to play my handheld game.

Just then, my phone rang. I had to wait until I was twelve to reach the cell phone owning status. One year to go at that point. I picked up the black cordless receiver and answered, "Hullo."

"Hey! Bria has the stomach flu and can't take Rhee to school with us. My mom told me you could come if you want. I thought you might want to kiss her goodbye in front of her dorm room," Joey exclaimed.

I was ecstatic. A few more hours with Rhia? I had to go. I ran down my hardwood steps and slid around the bend into the kitchen. "Mom," I squeaked, out of breath, "can I go with the Spencers to take Rhiannon to college? They'll be back tonight. Please?"

My mom smiled. She knew all about my crush on Rhiannon Spencer. She thought it was pretty funny, too. "Sure, you can go. Just don't try hiding in her closet so you can stay with her," she joked.

"I won't. She wouldn't want me there anyway. In seven years, I'll make my move," I said. I was joking, but there was an underlying seriousness in what I said. I knew I might grow up to have many other girlfriends, but there was a tiny bit of hope that Rhia would be one of them.

I put the receiver to my ear. "I'm allowed," I said, trying my best to not sound too excited. Joey told me they'd be at my house in a few minutes.

"Get out of here, Rico Suave," Mom teased a few minutes later. "Go enjoy your last trip with your cradle robbing girlfriend." She handed me my blue jacket and opened the front door. She gave me a quick kiss on the cheek and sent me on my way when the Spencers pulled up in their SUV.

Rhiannon

We pulled up in front of Max's house in our packed SUV. We also had one of those storage compartments on the roof that resembled a hamburger, also filled with my things.

I was slightly upset with the latest turn of events. Bria, my best friend, was planning on coming with my family to take me to school. She had called that morning, canceling because she was sick with the stomach flu. What bad timing.

Bria and I had been best friends since we'd met in Sunday School as toddlers. She was a year my junior, but we hadn't let that get in the way. We were practically inseparable. In fact, she would be joining me at Washington and Jefferson the following year.

After telling my mother what had happened, she asked if I would want to take anyone else. There was no one I wanted to spring this on, much less make them endure the ride back home with only my parents and Joey for company. My other brother Brendan was staying home because he had to work.

"Do you mind if Joey asks one of his friends, then?" Mom inquired. "It'll be better on the way back if he has a friend. Your father and I would appreciate it."

It didn't matter to me. My little brother and his friends were harmless. They were annoying most of the time, but still harmless. "Nah," I replied, "as long as it's not Brent. That kid is trouble."

Mom laughed, but I meant it. Brent was going to have four kids to three different women and be unemployed by the time he was twenty-five. I just had this feeling. Plus, he was always mean to Max. A lot of my motivation behind agreeing to kiss Max the year before was because Brent was so sure I wouldn't. He was a creeper, and he was only thirteen.

Mom went off to talk to Joey, and before I knew it, Max had agreed to come with us. I breathed a sigh of relief. Max was my favorite out of my brother's "gang," and not just because he had a crush on me. He was just so adorable, and he tried so hard to be a little gentleman. If he kept it up, he was going to end up making some girl very happy one day.

We pulled up in front of the Malick residence after stuffing what belongings were not already packed into every tidbit of remaining space. This was going to be one cramped trip. I was glad to have my MP3 player with me. It was my escape plan if I became too claustrophobic and needed a distraction.

Max walked up and opened the car door on Joey's side. "You're the shortest," Joey told him, "so you get the middle." Joey slid out of the vehicle and gestured for Max to get in. Max looked uncomfortable.

Joey, that little rat! He was only doing that to make sure that Max sat next to me. I had to help, too. He was not scared of me, but I think being in such close quarters for a few hours squashed pretty close to me was making him wary.

"Come on," I coaxed him, patting the seat next to me. I felt like I was calling a dog. I hope he didn't take it that way. He climbed in, sliding near to me, yet making a concentrated effort not to touch me. I just wanted to eat him up, he was so adorable. I put my earbuds in and got ready to enjoy the ride.

Halfway into the trip, I noticed Max had let down his guard just a little. In fact, he fell asleep. Three quarters of the way, his little head lolled to rest against my arm. I looked at Joey, hoping he wasn't snapping photos or anything, but he was sound asleep as well.

A little while later, they both were awakened by the sound of our car doors opening. We had arrived. I was so excited. So many opportunities existed for me on this campus. I couldn't wait.

After hauling all of my stuff up to my dorm room, it was almost time to say goodbye. As I stood facing my parents, a short girl with straight black hair flew into the room. "Are you Rhiannon Spencer?" she asked.

"Yep," I replied.

"I'm Gina Dreer, your roommate. Nice to finally meet you face to face!"

"Same here," I exclaimed. We had spoken on the phone and communicated via emails and Facebook, but had not met face to face until then.

I noticed Joey staring at her, then whisper something to Max. Max turned his attention to me and smiled.

"I'll be back in a minute with my things. My parents are unloading them as we speak." With that she was off. Joey's eyes followed her until she was completely out of sight. I stifled a giggle.

We said our goodbyes, hugged, and shed a few tears. I would be back home for Thanksgiving. That was a comfort at least.

"I love you guys," I said, giving each of them, including Max, one last hug. "See you at Thanksgiving."

Max

When Rhia's roommate flew into the room, Joey turned to me, saying, "Now she is hot, dontcha think?"

She was very pretty, but not compared to Rhia. I just mumbled a reply and smiled at Rhee. Boy, was I going to miss her. I wanted to age ten years in the next five minutes.

There was one last surprise. When she was hugging her family, she included me, too. It wasn't much, but I held onto that memory for years to come.

**************************

Next: Rhiannon's parents throw a Fourth of July party, and Max is there (age 16). Rhiannon's friend Jocelyn is hitting on Max, and things get a little heated.