- I guess you really did it this time. Left yourself in your warpath. Lost your balance on a tightrope, lost your mind trying to get it back. -
I walked up to Jason's cell. Only three more months until he will be released for bombing. I wish he didn't do it.
"Hey." I smiled.
"Only 3 months left." he said, walking to the bars of the cell.
"Yeah." I said, not really knowing what else to say.
We both sat down criss-crossed and just stared at each other.
He grabbed my hands through the bars and started to play with my fingers.
"Emily. I really tried to quit, I promise you. But after they killed my brother, I just reacted to the way I knew how to. Before I knew what was happening, I blew up a building." he mumbled, still playing with my hands.
"I know, Jason. I just Hope you don't go back to your old ways when you get out. I can't handle it."
- Wasn't it easier in your lunchbox days? Always a bigger bed to crawl into. Wasn't it beautiful when you believed in everything, & everybody believed in you? -
( 11 years earlier )
We sat down at lunch. I had my Polly pocket lunch box, and Jase had his batman one.
We talked about how cool first grade was and our pictures we drew for our family's.
I laughed, "No! Green is no way prettier than orange."
Jason's face turned shocked, "Yes way!"
"Emily, you're my friend. Believe me when I say, green is better." he smiled.
I nodded my head, "Okay."
- It's alright, just wait and see your string of lights is still bright to me. Oh, who you are is not where you've been. You're still an innocent, you're still an innocent. -
I laid down infront of his cell and turned on my side, so I could see my boyfriends beautiful face.
"Do you still love me, even though I'm a criminal?" he asked looking down, kind of sad looking.
"Of course! I've known you since we met in first grade, I could never not love you. But as a girlfriend? Yes, I still love you very much. You're still that little innocent kid, too small to hang his picture up on the wall, & obsessed with the color green. You just got lost along the way."
I spoke, and smiling every time he'd look at me.
- Wasn't it easier in your firefly catching days? Everything out of reach, someone bigger brought down to you. Wasn't it beautiful running wild 'til you fell asleep; before the monsters caught up to you? -
( 9 years earlier )
"Catch me if you can!" I screamed, running from my best friend.
"I'll get you! Just wait and see, Emily!" he yelled as I ran off around my front yard.
"Gotcha!" he screamed as he attacked me in a hug from behind.
I laughed. "I love you."
His eyes went big. As did mine. We were only 8.
"I-I meant I love you, because you're my best friend."
"Let's go to sleep." I said, yawning. He slept over my house, but we slept in different rooms.
"Yeah, I'm tired too." he mumbled, as the wind blew his brown hair in the wind.
- Time turns flames to embers, you'll have new Septembers. Everyone of us has messed up too. Minds change like the weather, I Hope you remember; today is never too late to be brand new. -
- 3 months later -
"You get out today!" I squealed running up to Jason's cell.
"I know!" he grinned, "I miss your hugs."
"Emily, before I get out of here, I want to know if you'll forgive me for all the stuff that's happened?" he moved his foot on the ground, in circles.
"Yeah! GOD forgives us, so I forgive you!!!!!!!! And we all mess up, but we live and learn."
"Thank you, to GOD, and you, Em. Im definitely changing when I get out of here."
We both smiled.
An officer came over, "Jason McCann?
I looked over at him as he pulled the keys out of his pocket.
The officer opened Jason's door and spoke, "It's time to leave this place. I Hope you turn around. GOD Bless you, young man. And don't forget to be Grateful, for things like your little lady over here." he said pointing at me.
He nodded, "Thank you, sir!"
He ran out of the cell and picked me up in his arms as he swung me around.
"I love you, Jason McCann."
"I love you too, Miss.Emily. You are my best friend, my lover, and the person who never gave up on me."
- Who you are is not what you did. You're still an innocent, you're still an innocent. Lost your balance on a tightrope; it's never too late to get it back. -
You guys should listen to "you are more" by Tenth Ave North