Chapter 1

“'Macey, be a darling and hurry up, or you'll be late for your first day of school.”   That was my Aunt Chloe, my mother's half-sister I never knew about. She put up with me when the police contacted her because I didn't have any place to go. You see, a month ago I lost my mother, who was my best friend, whom I loved for so many reasons, and when she died I got rejected by my own father who didn't want me to be a burden to him, and then my grandparents didn't want me.  So, I'm pretty glad that Aunt Chloe let me stay with her, and although I loved her already, I could hardly reply to her with the truth. I mean what can I say, “Sure Aunt Chloe I'll be out as soon as I dry off and get rid of all the water droplets on my body because I’m a mermaid and I won't turn back until I’m totally dry.”  Yeah right, I’ll be on the first plane to the mental hospital before anyone could say freak. So I simply replied with “Coming, just brushing my teeth.”  Nice one Macey, very original!!

I hate new schools, you have to meet new people, you have to make people like you, it's so hard and frustrating. I was waiting outside an office labelled ADMIN, with the map of the school, my timetable and my locker number in my hand. What I was waiting for? Well, I made a decision this morning (whilst drying since i had a lot of time) that I would find a girl, who was in the average clique in the school, maybe a geek; I wasn’t being rude, it's just that with average people I could blend in better, and i could stick with her for the rest of my senior year here.

There!

I spotted her, she was perfect, she had long blonde hair tied in a pony, and she was pretty, but not pretty enough to get noticed in a school like this. Like I said, perfect!

Before I could do more than take a step towards her, someone blocked my way.

“Hey,” the person was a girl, she was tall and absolutely beautiful, and she looked like a model; and that just made me sound like a lesbian. Shaking inwardly I just replied with a “Hi” instead.

“My name's Zoe.  I didn’t recognise you, and figured you were new here.  Do you need help finding your classes?”  She asked with a perfect smile. It seemed genuine enough. 

I didn’t want to accept, I mean Zoe didn’t exactly look like someone who blended into the background, but I could hardly refuse. “Umm, sure, that’ll be great.” I smiled back and then bit my lip; a nervous habit. 

“Great, ok so it says here your locker number is 12-19-37 and you have Double Algebra for first period with Mr Shane, oh great I have him to, come on.”

And with that my first day at Mystic Hearts started, a strange but beautifully ancient school with domed ceilings and looming gargoyles...