Chapter 27- You've been so brave

Authors note: This is also a very long chapter (though, not the longest there is in this fic), so please take your time reading. As i know there are a lot of you who haven't finished chapter 26, this will be the only update i'll make this weekend. This will give you all a chance to catch up :D Enjoy!!!

Chapter 27- 'You've been so brave'

After witnessing the final memory Severus wanted them to see; Harry and Ginny followed the man out of the pensieve. The three adults paused in the middle of the Master bedroom, not quite knowing what to say or do.  

"I'll just tell Ron we're back," Harry said into the silence as he drew his wand and sent his Stag to his brother-in-law. 

Once Harry watched his stag gallop safely out of the bedroom door, Harry quickly excused himself and went to check on the children. Thankfully they were sound asleep. 

Once Harry returned, he turned eagerly to Severus and asked in an excited whisper: 

"So what happened in the Forbidden Forest with the Resurrection Stone? What did my dad say?" 

"Your father wasn't present at first. Originally I was talking to Lily and she expressed how sorry she was for everything that had happened; that she and James had considered inviting me over for dinner, but never had the chance before the Dark Lord was presenting a danger to them. I refused to believe her; even though I knew that James and I left Hogwarts on reasonably friendly terms, I could not believe he regretted everything he did and secondly, that he would be willing to invite me over for dinner. At this assertion, James appeared. He further reinforced that they considered inviting me to their place, even after so many years. Perhaps they simply felt sorry for me..." Severus trailed off in a bitter tone. 

"Maybe they wanted to tell you that they know how you felt about my mother," Harry suggested. 

"And emphasise the fact that they are together now? That what I wanted would never come true?" Severus snapped back. 

"No," Harry replied quickly, a little taken aback. "Although my dad knew how you felt, I don't think, by the look on their faces, that either of them knew you truly and deeply loved Lily. From what we saw tonight, I do not think they wanted their relationship to be your downfall; I do not believe they married in spite of you, Severus, though perhaps to you that's what it seemed like- I mean- would you have liked to have known what they saw?" Harry asked, hoping that he wasn't offending Severus still further. 

"Considering that I wondered endlessly after Lily died whether she knew how I felt- whether James ever told her- yes, I suppose I would have liked to have known. But if she were to tell me what she knew, I believe I would have expected her to leave James or something equally as childish. No, all that would have shown her is that I had not moved on from what we had- I was unable to let go and after everything I felt and experienced in my sixth and seventh years, the last thing I wanted was for her last impressions of me to be her childhood friend who could not let go of her- but she has that impression of me nevertheless, so-" 

"Don't be so hard on yourself, Severus," Ginny said gently. "Originally you believed that Lily died not knowing how you felt about her and you wondered if James ever had the chance to tell her about the conversation the two of you had, but now that you have revisited the moment, you know the answers. Both James and Lily knew how deeply you felt and they didn't laugh or make fun of you, but were extremely sensitive, accepting and respectful. They knew, Severus!" Ginny exclaimed somewhat excitedly. 

"And did nothing about it," Severus mumbled. 

"Perhaps not, but what could they have done? What we just saw, not just their presence but the way they reacted, it was so amazing. Neither Lily nor James hated you, Lily wasn't angry; they both left Hogwarts knowing the truth- understanding a bit more about who you were," Ginny asserted smiling and putting her hand on Severus' arm. "Lily was emotional when she discovered you shared her Patronus and she died four years later knowing that you, Severus Snape, loved her despite everything that happened between you. And James, he matured and when he saw your Patronus, I know that he felt for you too. All of you made such a discovery at that moment and even though you weren't aware of that at the time, at least now you can accept the fact that your secret was not a secret, other people knew about your Patronus- your love for Lily-and instead of seeing it as a weakness, that you once portrayed it to be, they respected you for it."