Ch. 25: Sister Snooping

        I stifled a yawn and glared down at my exam notes, widening my eyes in a feeble attempt to force my brain to focus, focus, focus. I rubbed my blurry eyes, acknowledging that this tactic was stupid and flipped through the decrepit pages of the Defense Against the Dark Arts For Dummies book that I had taken off the shelf of the library. I've been up in this dingy place since eight in the morning...and it's a Sunday. 

      I sighed at the thought of my wasted weekend spent on my studies.

      You're probably thinking 'Elle? In a library? At this hour?' and my only reply would be: I know right? Truth is, exams were here, and just as hellish as they were back in Sorcellerie, perhaps even worse, actually. But, there were only two weeks before winter break, so.. silver lining. 

     Plus all the drama of the Common Room was getting to me. Girls would be either talking about boys, or dresses, or makeup, or hair, or they would be crying in front of the fireplace because the guy they wanted already asked someone else to the Ball.

        It was getting horrid, and I thought I was going to go crazy. Maybe I was for being up at this hour. Sighing, I slammed the book shut and strolled over to the bookcase, putting it back. When I grabbed another book, it left a perfect-sized gap for me to see the people at the table on the other side of me.

      I would've been damned if I didn't know them.

       "Mione?" I whispered to myself as I took down the next book as well, so I could get a better view of what exactly I was witnessing.

Hermione was bent over a book, carefully reading out loud-but what threw me off was who she was with-none other then Viktor Krum-the Bulgarian bon-bon! I sniggered-I can't help myself. "Aha bon-bon." I muttered to myself.

      Hermione blushed at something Krum said and tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear, with a small, embarrassed smile playing on her lips. "What are you playing at Hermione..." I cocked a brow, knowing that if they looked towards the bookshelf they would be able to see me perfectly through the books.

Krum stroked her cheek for a second, causing her to blush harder. Krum picked something under her eye and held a finger out for her to blow on. "Ahh, the old eyelash trick...I gotcha Viktor." I mumbled, watching my innocent twin, totally engrossed.

      So engrossed in fact, that I hadn't noticed someone creeping on me from behind. "What are you up to, Elizabeth?" 

       With a squeak, I hit my head on the bookshelf. But, somehow managing not to get the attention of Hermione or Krum. Blushing, I quickly put the books in my hands on the bookshelf and nervously turned to face the person talking to me. "Oh, nothing--just studying."

George gave me a calculating look, but just shrugged and grabbed a book by my head. I licked my lips nervously, and leaned against the place where Hermione and Krum could be seen, I didn't want George to run off and tell Ron or Harry. "So-where is your doppleganger?"

       "You're referring to Fred?" George chuckled and scratched the back of his head. "Probably tossing some things around our dormitory; he's a little miffed that you chose Wood to take to the Yule Ball." George's eyes glazed over as if thinking back to another time. 

     "He and Wood have had this competitive nature -- they're always trying to outdo each other." He snorted and looked at me expectantly, waiting for my reply.

       I paused, 'Wait--what?' I processed what George was telling me, confused.

      "What was that? I'm sorry, I must've gotten dust from these underused books caught in my ear or something. Who am I taking to the Ball?"