Well...Not Anymore: Chapter 8

A/N--For anyone who's interested in the cast, I changed who I thought Drew should be.  I saw a pic of this guy and just instantly thought of Drew.  So that's who the guy is on the side :) 

Hope you like this chapter, I feel like it's much better written than the last one.  Please comment and vote!

When I walk into school Monday morning, I make sure to keep an eye out for Lucas so that I can avoid him. I'm humiliated and upset about our huge fight on Saturday night-I'd been hoping not to admit that his leaving my life did, in fact, ruin me-and I honestly don't know if I'm going to be able to face him.  

So with my hair falling like a curtain over my face, I tighten my grasp on my book sack and then head on down the hallway and to my locker, keeping my eyes peeled for a certain blonde football player.  

I feel slightly relieved when I reach my locker and put in the combination, opening it so that I can slide my things in that I won't need until later in the day. But when I hear footsteps get close to me and then the faint sound of someone's breathing, my heart leaps inside of my chest. It's got to be Lucas and he's got to be here to point out how upset I was over how he left me two years ago. He's going to hold it over my head and it's going to drive me insane. 

I don't turn around, wanting to ignore him so that he'll just go away, but then I hear a different voice speak. "Hey, Naomi," a voice completely different from Lucas' greets, and when I turn around I see Drew standing there instead, his brown eyes smiling happily. 

Feeling so happy that I don't have to deal with Lucas, a bright smile lights up my face and I say, "Hey." 

Obviously excited that I'm not yelling at him like the previous time he greeted me at my locker, he leans his shoulder against the locker next to mine and asks, "We're okay now, right? Like you're not mad at me anymore?" 

A bit confused as to what he's getting at, I shake my head as I slip my math book out and place it into my arms. I say, "No, why?" 

Relief clear as a bell on his cute face, he audibly swallows and then asks me "Are you doing anything Friday night?" 

Finally it all clicks in my head. He's about to ask me out. Drew Price, one of the most friendly and popular guys at the school, is about to ask me out. Is he having a brain fart or something? Did he smoke something bad this morning? He has to know that going on a date with me would be, like, social suicide or something.  

But even though this may be true, this may also be my only chance to do something worth telling my kids about in the future. I've spent all of my high school life living on the sidelines, watching as Lucas makes field goals on and off the field. I haven't done anything worth mentioning, not one exciting thing that someone would want to hear about. 

Am I head over heels for Drew? Do I find him as attractive and amazing as I used to find Lucas? Of course not. But then again, I've only talked to him for a week now and I know for a fact that he makes me laugh. There might be something here and I, for once, am not going to let it slip by. I have to do this, no matter how uncertain it may make my stomach feel. 

So I shake my head and say, "No, why?" 

Looking a bit relieved that I haven't turned him down yet, he grins and says, "Well...you know...I have a hot date and I was wondering if you'd watch my dog. He has heartworms." 

Knowing that he's joking, I go along with him and say sarcastically, "Well...as appealing as that may sound, I'm going to have to pass." 

He gives me a dramatic pout, "Are you sure? He's an awesome cuddle-buddy."