The Hatchings of a Killer's Plan

Stefan was slouched on a sofa in one of the many apartments that Klaus had acquired up and down the country; the furniture basic and lacking in decent taste. None of that mattered to Klaus, as he never spent more than a few weeks at any one place.

Too many enemies, he had told Stefan, when on one the rare occasions Stefan had been feeling talkative, he had been permitted to ask questions.

Klaus had left Stefan for a brief period of time; thinking that he appeared composed enough after the day’s events to be left alone for a short while. He’d thought wrong though, Stefan mused. He was fuming at the betrayal of the two people he thought he could trust.

When he’d secured the cure for Damon’s werewolf bite, at the cost of his servitude to Klaus, he had thought that Damon would be decent enough to honour his bravado and stay away from his girlfriend, despite his obvious feelings for Katherine’s ancestor. Even worse, he’d never have guessed that Elena had ever reciprocated Damon’s love.

The mere thought of the couple embracing in the doorway of the motel earlier that day, wracked his body with anger. A sob escaped his throat; coming out guttural and canine. Stefan was angry, and bloodthirsty. He was a monster.

And when a monster gets angry? Well. They do what monsters do best, Stefan thought bitterly, they kill.

That’s what he was going to do; he would kill his brother in his sleep and take Elena for himself – the way that things were supposed to be.

Rifling through the apartment, Stefan found a wooden chair which he snapped the legs off, before whittling into stakes. He winced, and he embedded a splinter in one of his fingers, but after pulling it out and composing himself, he sped off without a second thought.

Soon he would feel the bitter but cold and satisfying feeling of his brothers blood on his hands.

His brother had taken Katherine from him, all those years ago, and that had been heart breaking enough.

There’s only so much heartbreak a man can take, thought Stefan. And I’ll be damned if I let history repeat itself.

This ends tonight.