Chp. 16

Well, i really don't want to scrounge up dialogue for every chapter, so... does this work for you guys? saves a lot of probably slower writing. we can get to the good stuff sooner. i didn't want to rush through their relationship or anything, but you know...

and.. this is it!!! yeeeee!!! X3

art credit goes to Lesldees_Naufragees on deviantart :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                                                =16=

=Kaelyn=

          Warmth enveloped my body, gradually dragging me away from the pleasant dreams that had been entertaining my mind for the night. My eyelids fluttered open, my blurry surroundings becoming focused. I noticed a hand stretched out beside me, the palm facing down.

          What! I'm human?!

          I let out a whoop of joy... Which actually sounded like a loud neigh. A strangled, choked off, non-human sound. Confused, I stumbled to my feet, or more appropriately, my hooves. I couldn't stop the wave of depression that hung over my soul. For a moment I believed that I had been freed of the curse. My head sunk low, inches away from the ground.

          The hand that had spurred so much hope within my stirred. clenching and retreating backwards, sliding smoothly over the dirt. Memories of last night came back to me. About an hour after I transformed back into my horse self, I returned to my prince's side and had slept beside him. The hand I thought was my own belonged to him instead. 

          I wish I was human...

          Snorting in anger I marched over to the river. These thoughts and longings weren't uncommon, but now my feelings were stronger and more urgent. This curse that held me captive inside this horse body remained a mystery to me. Matilda either didn't know, or refused to tell me how I had been unfortunate enough to have it bestowed upon me. 

          I tossed my head high and pawed the ground in frustration. Without a second thought, I charged into the river, seeking refuge in the frigid water. The bitter cold brought me back to my senses. I chided myself for acting immature, never before have I thrown a fit like this. I guess I've never really had a reason to feel the unfairness of my situation. Never have I felt so strongly about it. But being around the prince as Aurora has made me truly realize what I am missing out on. Human interaction. Human dialogue. A human life!

          Taking deep breaths, I calmed myself. After a few swallows of river water, I returned to shore. Still feeling restless and slightly agitated, I turned once again to the river. Closing my eyes, I lost myself to my swirling thoughts.

          That is until a familiar hand patted my back.

          "Hey there," his voice sounded thick and deeper as he spoke through a yawn.

          His presence instantly made my day brighter.

          Good morning, I nickered softly, craning my neck around to look at him. My prince looked at me with a faint smile, sleepiness still clinging to him. His brown eyes held a faraway look, almost as if he had just woken up from a pleasant dream...

          "Ready to get a move on?" He asked. I couldn't help but whinny in surprise. The prince just woke up! Didn't he need breakfast or something?